Planning a Large Scale PACS: The Vienna SMZO-Project
Goal of this paper is to present a large scale PACS project, as planned for the SMZO Hospital in Vienna, Austria. This 1400-bed teaching hospital will start its operation in early 1992. Since 1988 a team of radiologists and computer engineers has been planning the design and the operational structure of this all-digital radiology service. The goal of this project is to optimize the service by improving communication within the radiology department and with other departments and to increase the accessability of radiological images. In this paper the major considerations in the planning and development phases are outlined. An overview of the physical structure of the system will be given according to the current plans, which still are open to changes if necessary as planning progresses, in line with further technological development.
KeywordsSMZO PACS HIS RIS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Huang H.K., Kangarloo H., Cho P.S., Taira R.K., Ho B.K., Chan K.K.: Planning a totally digital radiology department. AJR 154, 635–639 (1990)Google Scholar
- 2.Mun S.K., Benson H.K., Elliot L.P.: Total digital department: implementation strategy. Proc SPIE 1093, 133–139 (1989)Google Scholar
- 4.Lemke HU. Computer-assisted radiology. Radiologe 1988; 28: 189–194 (in german)Google Scholar
- 6.Templeton AW, Cox GG, Dwyer SJ. Digital image managment networks: current status. Radiology 1988; 169: 193–199Google Scholar
- 7.Mezrich R.S.: The implications of PACS for radiology practice. AJR 151, 828 (1988)Google Scholar
- 8.Arenson RL, Seshradi SB, Kundel HL, et al. Clinical evaluation of a medical image managment system for chest images. AJR 1988; 150: 55–59Google Scholar
- 9.Tessler FN. Computer applications in radiology education: a challenge for the 1990s. AJR 1989; 152: 1169–1172Google Scholar
- 11.Tragi, K.H.: The hospital in the Socio-Medical Center east: Medical planning aspects. Der Aufbau 10 (1987) 491–493Google Scholar
- 12.Huang HK, Mankovich NJ, Cho PS, Taira R, Stewart BK, Ho BK. Picture archiving and communication systems in Japan. AJR 1987; 148: 427–429Google Scholar