Experiences with PATSY an Information System for Pathology
The Institute of Pathology deals with more than 36.000 histological, cytological and autoptic reports each year. Furthermore it has to accomplish quite different tasks like patient care, research, teaching, management and tumor registry. Computers are used in all these fields. Thus the Institute a baseline organisation system for pathology has been installed since 1988. This system runs now for more than two years with any serious trouble like hardware failures or lost reports or inconsistency of the database. The system is upgraded to a large system with more than 60 terminals this year. PATSY software is written completely in MUMPS and supports all necessary tasks of the Institute. This paper describes the structure of the hardware and software in detail and discusses the advantages of our solution with regard to other published papers dealing with organisation systems for pathology.
KeywordsMedical Informatics Order Entry Baseline System Inhouse Patient Large Scale Data Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Klar R., Zaiss A., Timmermann U., Schräder U.: The Information System of the Freiburg University Hospital (See these proceedings).Google Scholar
- (2).Loy V.: Large Scale Data Processing in Pathology. The Information System of the Institute of Pathology, Klinikum Steglitz. Proceedings of 7th International Congress on Medical Informatics Europe 1987 in Rome, 347–351.Google Scholar
- (3).Richter H.A., Heinrich J., Mittermayer Ch.: Archivierung von Patientenstammdaten und Befunden per Datenverarbeitung im Pathologischen Institut. Schriftenreihe Medizinische Informatik 1984, Oldenbourg Verlag Wien, 143–146Google Scholar
- (4).Rupp W.: Computereinsatz im Pathologischen Institut, Erfahrungsbericht. Der Pathologe (1984)5: 119–127Google Scholar
- (5).Ginneken A., Jansen W., Smeulders A., van der Lei J., Baak J.: A Method for the Acquisistion of Formalized Knowledge in Pathology.Google Scholar