The Initiation of Finite Amplitude Waves in Annealed Metals
Plastic wave initiation in the immediate vicinity of impacting surfaces for high purity large-grained multicrystals of fully annealed aluminum is shown to be consistent with first diameter behavior which has been obtained in fully annealed commercial purity aluminum, copper, and pure lead. These new data introduce considerable simplicity into the description of the process of plastic wave initiation since for the high purity polycrystal, the quasi-static stress-strain curve of the material and the parabolic law governing the finite amplitude wave propagation are identical. Thus for high purity aluminum, not only does the strain-rate-independent finite amplitude wave theory apply, but the governing stress-strain curve is the quasi-static stress-strain curve of the material.
KeywordsQuartz Mold Peri Cylin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bell, J. F.: Proc. IUTAM Symposium on 2nd Order Effects, Haifa, 1962.Google Scholar
- The Scientific Papers of Sir Geoffrey Ingram Taylor, G. K. Batchelor, editor, Vol. 1, Cambridge University Press 1958, Nos. 21, 22, 27, 47.Google Scholar
- Bell, J. F.: Manuscript submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Bell, J. F.: The Initial Development of an Elastic Strain Pulse Propagating in a Semi-Infinite Bar, Tech. Rep. No. 6, U.S. Army Ballistics Research Laboratories, Aberdeen, Contract No. DA-36–034–509-ORD-7RD; The Johns Hopkins University, 1960.Google Scholar
- Bell, J. F., and J. Suckling: Proc. 4th U.S. Nat. Congress Appl. Mech., Berkeley, 1962.Google Scholar
- Filbey, G. L.: Tech. Report No. 8, U.S. Army Ballistics Research Laboratories, Aberdeen, Contract No. DA-36–034–21X4992. 509-ORD-3104RD; The Johns Hopkins University, 1961.Google Scholar
- Johnson, J. E., D. S. Wood and D. S. Clark: J. Appl. Mech. 9, 253 (1953).Google Scholar
- Clark, D. S.: Trans. Am. Soc. Metals 45, 34 (1953).Google Scholar
- Hauser, F. E., J. A. Simmons and J. E. Dorn: Proc. AIME Conf. on Response of Materials to High Velocity Deformation, 1960, 93.Google Scholar