Structure of silver clusters embedded in erionite channels
The structure of silver clusters stabilised in erionite has been studied by EXAFS, and the results support an interpretation given previously that the absorption peaks at 322 and 293 urn in the optical spectra of the sample belong to the cluster species Ag 8 0 and Ag 8 δ+ . Five possible geometries were considered for an Ag8 cluster, and for each one, the expected Ag EXAFS was calculated and compared with the experimental data. The observed coordination numbers indicate an absence of bulk silver metal, and the best fit was obtained for a polyhedron with D2d symmetry, which corresponds closely with the results of minimum energy structure calculations. The derived Ag—O distances discount the formation of silver oxides, but are consistent with a weak interaction between the silver clusters and the oxygen atoms of the surrounding channel. The results therefore indicate that erionite promotes the formation of 8-atom silver clusters in the channels of the crystalline framework.
PACS61.46.+w Clusters, nanoparticles, and nanocrystalline materials 61.10.Ht X-ray absorption spectroscopy: EXAFS, NEXAFS, XANES, etc. 78.40.-q Absorption and reflection spectra: visible and ultraviolet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.N.E. Bogdanchikova et al.: in Zeolites and related microporous materials: State of art, ed. by J. Weitkamp, E.G. Karge, II. Pleifer, W. II6Iderich, Stud. Surf. Sci. Catal., Vol. 84 ( Elsevier, Amsterdam 1994 ) p. 1067Google Scholar
- N.E. Bogdanchikova et al.: inorg. Mater. 31, 451 (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.D.W. Break: Zeolite Molecular Sieves, Structure: Chemistry, and Use ( Wiley, New York-London-Sydney-Toronto 1974 )Google Scholar
- 7.N. Binsted: “PAXAS”: Microcomputer program for pre-and post-edge background subtractions. University of Southampton. UK 1988Google Scholar
- 8.S.J. Gurman, N. Binsted, I. Ross: J. Phys. C 17, 143 (1984); C 19, 1845 (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.S. Fedrigo, W. Harbich, J. Et ttet: Phys. Rev, B 47, 10 706 (1993)Google Scholar