Prediction of Drug Dependence and Abuse Liability
In an attempt to discuss our ability to predict drug dependence and abuse liability, if and when a substance becomes available for clinical use, I would like to begin by commenting on some events, observations or judgments which seem to me to have had a role in the evolution of the present situation. I will not go very far back, only a little beyond the span of my own experience.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Downs, A. W., Eddy, N. B.: Morphine tolerance. II. The susceptibility of morphine-tolerant dogs to codeine, heroin and scopolamine. J. Lab. clin. Med. 13, 745 (1928a).Google Scholar
- Downs, A. W., Quigley, J. P.: Morphine tolerance. III. The effect of cocaine upon dogs before, during and after tolerance to morphine. J. Lab. clin. Med. 13, 838 (1928b).Google Scholar
- Hatcher, R. A.: Unpublished report to National Research Council Committee on Drug Addiction 1930. Quoted by N. B. Eddy: Involvement of the National Research Council in the Opiates Problem. Washington, D. C.: Nat. Acad. Sci. Printing Office 1972.Google Scholar
- Jasinski, D. R., Martin, W. R., Sapira, J. D.: Antagonism of the subjective, behavioral, pupillary and respiratory depressant effects of cyclazocine by naloxone. Clin. Pharmacal. Ther. 9, 217–222 (1968).Google Scholar
- Kolb, L., Du Mez, A. G.: Experimental addiction of animals to opiates. Publ. Hlth Rep. (Wash.) 46, 698 (1931).Google Scholar
- Krueger, H. M., Eddy, N. B., Sumwalt, M.: Pharmacology of the Opium Alkaloids. Publ. Hlth Rep. (Wash.) Suppl. 165, 735 (1941).Google Scholar
- Lindesmith, A. R.: The nature of opiate addiction. Dissertation, University of Chicago Libraries (1937).Google Scholar
- Seevers, M. H.: Personal communication from unpublished report to the National Research Council Committee on Drug Addiction and Narcotics (1954).Google Scholar
- Spragg, S. D. S.: Morphine addiction in chimpanzees. Comp. Psychol. Monoz. 15, 132 (1941).Google Scholar
- Tatum, A. L., Seevers, M. H., Collins, K. H.: Morphine addiction and its physiological interpretation based on experimental evidence. J. Pharmacol. exp. Ther. 36, 447 (1929).Google Scholar
- Yanagita, T. et al.: Personal communication from unpublished report to The National Research Council Committee on Problems of Drug Dependence.Google Scholar