An Accurate Noise Analysis in MESFET Including Hot Carrier Effects
Some attemps have been made to apply van der Ziel’s earlier noise calculations in silicon J. FET to GaAs Schottky barrier FET. These revealed that the calculated noise levels were of an order of magnitude lower than the measured ones. This discrepancy has been attributed to such excess noise sources as intervalley scattering noise  or diffusion noise in the velocity saturated pinch-off region . Consequently, van der Ziel’s noise sources (gate, drain and correlation) were correctly modified to include these new phenomena, and results have been reported which agree satisfactorily with experiments ,,. However, up to the time of writing, no experimental evidence proving the existence of these noise sources have been offered. Our aim in this paper is to demonstrate that normal noise sources can satisfactorily agree with experiments as long as they are properly calculated for high frequency conditions, and as long as some specific properties of gallium arsenide, i.e. field dependent mobility and field dependent electron noise temperature, are included. Finally, this new noise model, which we introduce, can be used for theoretical computer aided design of low noise devices.
KeywordsGaAs Gallium Nite Arsenide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W. Baechtold, IEEE, Trans. Electron Devices, ED-19, 674 (1972).Google Scholar
- H. Statz, H.A. Haus, R.A. Pucel, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices ED-21, 549 (1974)Google Scholar
- A. van der Ziel, Proc. on IRE, 1808 (1962).Google Scholar
- A. van der Ziel, Proc. on IRE, 51 461 (1963).Google Scholar
- Chr. Tsironis, Ph. D Dissertation, Aachen, Germany (1977).Google Scholar
- J. Graffeuil, P. Rossel, C. Azizi, International Electron Devices Meeting Proceedings, 343 (1977).Google Scholar
- A. van der Ziel, J.W. Ero, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, ED-11, 123, (1964).Google Scholar
- J. Graffeuil, Thèse d′Etat, Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, ( Juillet 1977 ).Google Scholar
- J. Graffeuil, JF. Sautereau, G. Blasquez, P. Rossel, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, To be published (1978).Google Scholar
- R.S. Butlin, D. Parker, I. Crossley, J. Turner, Symp, on GaAs, Edimbourg (1976).Google Scholar