Design Examples Using μ-Synthesis: Space Shuttle Lateral Axis FCS During Reentry
This paper studies the application of Structured Singular Values (SSV or μ) for analysis and synthesis of the Space Shuttle lateral axis flight control system (FCS) during reentry. Comparisons are made of the conventional FCS with alternatives based on H ∞-optimal control and μ-synthesis. While this is a fairly standard FCS problem in most respects, the aircraft model is highly uncertain due to the poorly known aerodynamic characteristics (e.g. aero coefficients). The problem as formulated is particularly interesting and challenging because the uncertainty is large and highly structured.
KeywordsRobust Stability Step Response Robust Performance Sensor Noise Nominal Performance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [C1]C.C. Chu and J.C. Doyle, “On inner-outer and spectral factorizations”, IEEE CDC, Las Vegas, NV, 1984.Google Scholar
- [C2]C.C. Chu, J.C. Doyle, and E.B. Lee, “The general distance problem in H ∞- optimal control”, Int. J. of Control, 1986, Vol. 44, No.2.Google Scholar
- [D1]J.C. Doyle, “Analysis of feedback systems with structured uncertainty”, IEE Proceedings, Part D, No. 6, Nov., 1982.Google Scholar
- [D2]J.C. Doyle, “Synthesis of robust controllers and filters”, IEEE CDC, San Antonio, TX, 1983.Google Scholar
- [D3]J.C. Doyle, “Lectures Notes”, 1984 ONR/Honeywell Workshop on Advances in Multivariable Control, Oct. 8–10, 1984, Mpls., MN.Google Scholar
- [D4]J.C. Doyle, “Structured uncertainty in control system design”, IEEE CDC, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 1985.Google Scholar
- [E1]D.F. Enns, “Model reduction for control system design”, Ph.D. Dissertation, Stanford University, 1984.Google Scholar
- [F1]B.A. Francis and J.C. Doyle, “Control theory with an H∞-optimality criterion”, SIAM J. of Control, 1986.Google Scholar
- [M1]B.G. Morton and R.M. McAfoos, “A μ-test for real-parameter variations,” ACC Proceedings, 1985.Google Scholar
- [M2]B.G. Morton and R.M. McAfoos, “New applications fo μ to real-parameter variation problems”, IEEE CDC, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 1985.Google Scholar
- [S1]S. Skogestad and M. Morari, “Control of ill-conditioned plants: high purity distillation columns”, AIChE Annual Meeting, Miami Beach, FL, Nov., 1986.Google Scholar