Heating in Stochastic Magnetic Fields
This review is concerned with the nature of micro-structure of the force-free magnetic field in coronal loops and how this micro-structure is created by random motions of the foot points of the field lines anchored in the convecting photosphere. This micro-structure enhances joule heating because the current is strongly filamented in fine scales. The effective Lundquist number is reduced by orders of magnitude from that based on the gross dimensions of the coronal loop. It examines whether the magnetic field lines are laminar or chaotic and if chaotic, over what fraction of the volume of the coronal loop. Finally, the propagation and dissipation of Alfvén waves in stochastic magnetic fields, where the field lines are chaotic in a significant fraction of the flux tube volume, is described.
KeywordsWave Packet Field Line Coronal Loop Eikonal Approximation Alfven Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aly, J.J.: 1990, Astron. Astrophys. in press,.Google Scholar
- Longcope, D.W. and Sudan, R.N.: 1990a, “Quasi-Static Evolution of Coronal Magnetic Fields”, Report No. LPS90–9, Laboratory of Plasma Studies, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.Google Scholar
- Longcope, D.W. and Sudan, R.N.: 1990b, “Magnetic Micro structure of the Solar Corona”, 32nd Annual Meeting, Division of Plasma Physics, American Physical Society, Nov. 12–16, Cincinatti, Ohio.Google Scholar
- Longcope, D.W. and Sudan, R.N.: 1990c, “Renormalized Group Analysis of Alfvén Turbulence in Reduced MHD”, Report No. LPS90–10, Laboratory of Plasma Studies, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.Google Scholar
- Narain, U. and Ulmschneider, P.: 1990, Chromospheric and Coronal Heating Mechanisms, to appear in Space Science Reviews.Google Scholar
- Ryutova, M.P.: 1977, Proc. XIII Int. Conf. on Ionized Gases, p. 859.Google Scholar
- Sudan, R.N. and Similon, P.L.: 1988, “Dissipation of Alfvén Waves in Solar Coronal Arches,” Proc. Joint Varenna-Abastumani Workshop on Plasma Astrophysics, Varenna, Italy [ESA SP-285, Vol. 1].Google Scholar
- Vekstein, G.E.: 1989, Proc. Cargese Workshop on Solar Plasma Phenomena, ed. D. Gresillon and M. Dubois, in press.Google Scholar
- Vekstein, G.E., Priest, E.R. and Amari, T.: 1990a, Formation of Current Sheets in Force-Free Magnetic Fields, Preprint; Mathematical Sciences Dept., St. Andrews University, Scotland.Google Scholar
- Vekstein, G.E., Priest, E.R. and Steele, C.D.C.: 1990 Magnetic Reconnection and Energy Release in the Solar Corona by Taylor Relaxation, Preprint; submitted to Solar Physics.Google Scholar