An Experimental Study of Instability Phenomena in the Initiation of Plastic Waves in Long Rods
A series of experiments are considered for stress-time histories at the impact face for wave propagation in long rods. From these data it is shown that the finite deformation mode and transition stability structure of the writer’s generalized parabolic stress-strain function is important in the problem of finite amplitude non-linear wave initiation and growth at the impact face and in the three-dimensional first diameter when considering the symmetrical free-flight impact of identical long cylindrical rods.
KeywordsImpact Velocity Mode Index Instability Phenomenon Plastic Wave Impact Face
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. F. Bell, The Physics of Large Deformation of Crystalline Solids, Springer Tracts in Natural Philosophy, Springer-Verlag New York Inc. (1968).Google Scholar
- 3.G. I. Taylor, British Official Report, RC 329 (1945).Google Scholar
- 4.T. von Karman, NDRC Report A29, OSRD 365 (1942).Google Scholar
- 9.J. F. Bell, Proc. I.U.T.A.M. Symposium on 2nd Order Effects in Elasticity, Plasticity, and Fluid Dynamics, 173, Haifa (1962).Google Scholar
- 10.J. F. Bell, Proc. I.U.T.A.M. Symposium on Stress Waves in Anelastic Solids, 166, Brown University (1963).Google Scholar
- 11.J. F. Bell, Colloquium on Behavior of Materials Under Dynamic Loading, ASME, New York, 19 (1965).Google Scholar
- 14.J. F. Bell and J. H. Suckling, Proc. 4th U.S. Natl. Cong. of Appl. Mecha., 877 (1962).Google Scholar
- 15.G. L. Filbey, Jr., Ph.D. Dissertation, The Johns Hopkins University (1961).Google Scholar
- 16.G. L. Filbey, Jr., TR No. 8, U.S. Army BRL Contract No. DA-36-034-21X4992, 509-ORD-3104RD, The Johns Hopkins University (1961).Google Scholar
- 17.G. L. Filbey, Jr., Proc. Symposium on Structural Dynamics Under High Impulsive Loading, 147 (1963).Google Scholar
- 18.W. F. Hartman, Ph.D. Dissertation, The Johns Hopkins University (1967).Google Scholar