Permeability and Structure of Electrotonic Junctions and Intercellular Movements of Tracers
In this paper I shall present a brief review of the data that led to our concept of the structure of the electrotonic junction or synapse. Some find the arguments persuasive, to a variable degree, and certainly the idea is at least hinted at in the work of many who have studied these junctions. In the second part of the paper I shall deal with some effects of histological fixation on junctional properties and the implications for interpretation of tracer measurements. Much of this work is in progress, and I am indebted to my colleagues for permission to use and refer to unpublished findings of collaborative work.
KeywordsPermeability Sucrose Sulfide Cobalt Glycine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bennett, M. V. L.: Electroreception. In: Fish Physiology. Ed. W. S. Hoar and D. S. Randall. pp. 493–574. New York: Academic Press, 1971.Google Scholar
- Bennett, M. V. L.: A comparison of electrically and chemically mediated transmission. In: Structure and Function of Synapses. Ed. G. D. Pappas and D. P. Purpura, pp. 221–256. New York: Raven Press, 1972.Google Scholar
- Bennett, M. V. L., and A. A. Auerbach: Calculation of electrical coupling of cells separated by a gap. Anat. Rec. 163, 152 (1969).Google Scholar
- Bennett, M. V. L., and P. B. Dunham: Sucrose permeability of junctional membrane at an electrotonic synapse. Biophys. J. 10, 117a (1970).Google Scholar
- Bennett, M. V. L., M. E. Spira, and G. D. Pappas: Effect of fixatives for electron microscopy on properties of electrotonic junctions between embryonic cells. J. Cell Biol. 55, 17a (1972b).Google Scholar
- Bennett, M. V. L., N. Feder, T. S. Reese, and W. Stewart: Movement during fixation of peroxidases injected into the crayfish septate axon. J. gen. Physiol., (in the press).Google Scholar
- Furshpan, E. J., and D. D. Potter: Low-resistance junctions between cells in embryos and tissue culture. In: Current Topics in Developmental Biology. Ed. A. A. Moscona, and A. Monroy. Vol. 3, pp. 95–127, 1968.Google Scholar
- Heuser, J. E. and R. Miledi: Effect of lanthanum ions on function and structure of frog neuromuscular junctions. Proc. Roy. Soc. (Lond.) B179, 247–260 (1971).Google Scholar
- Politoff, A., and G. D. Pappas: Mechanisms of increase in coupling resistance at electrotonic synapses of the crayfish septate axon. Anat. Rec. 172, 384–385 (1972).Google Scholar
- Politoff, A., and M. V. L. Bennett: Cobalt: a tracer for light and electron microscopy hat can cross an electrotonic synapse. J. Cell Biol. 55, 204a (1972).Google Scholar
- Reese, T. S., M. V. L. Bennett, and N. Feder: Cell-to-cell movement of peroxidases injected into the septate axon of crayfish. Anat. Rec. 169, 409 (1971).Google Scholar