Transformation of morphological, functional and metabolic properties of fast-twitch muscle as induced by long-term electrical stimulation
Transformation of structural, functional, metabolic and molecular characteristics is induced by stimulating fast-twitch muscles with the frequency pattern of a motoneuron normally innervating a slow-twitch muscle. These changes correspond to a transition of a “fast-white” into a “slow-red” muscle. Intermittent stimulation (8 h/d) does not affect the system but causes alterations of the sarcoplasmic reticulum which lead to changes in time to peak and half relaxation time. Continuous stimulation (24 h/d) induces a transformation of the muscle also at the level of the myosin system.
Transformation morphologischer, funktioneller und metabolischer Eigenschaften schneller Muskeln durch langdauernde elektrische Reizung
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Salmons, S., G. Vrbovâ: The Influence of Activity on Some Contractile Characteristics of Mammalian Fast and Slow Muscles. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 201, 535 (1969).Google Scholar
- 5.Cotter, M., O. Hudlickd, D. Pette, H. W. Staudte, G. Vrobd: Changes of Capillary Density and Enzyme Pattern in Fast Rabbit Muscles During Long-Term Stimulation. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 230, 34P (1973).Google Scholar
- 6.Brown, M. D., M. Cotter, O. Hudlickd, M. E. Smith, G. Vrbovâ: The Effect of Long-Term Stimulation of Fast Muscles on Their Ability to Withstand Fatigue. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 238, 47 (1973).Google Scholar
- 7.Sréter, F. A., J. Gergely, S. Salmons, F. Romanul: Synthesis by Fast Muscle of Myosin Light Chains Characteristic of Slow Muscle in Response to Long-Term Stimulation. Nature New Biol. 241, 17 (1973).Google Scholar
- 8.Sréter, F. A., F. C. A. Romanul, S. Salmons, J. Gergely: The Effect of a Changed Pattern of Activity on Some Biochemical Characteristics of Muscle. In “Exploratory Concepts in Muscular Distrophy II” (A. T. Milhorat ed.), Int. Congr. Ser. 333, 338, Excerpta Medica (Amsterdam 1974 ).Google Scholar
- 9.Romanul, F. C. A., F. A. Sréter, S. Salmons, J. Gergely: The effect of a Changed Pattern of Activity on Histochemical Characteristics of Muscle Fibers. In “Exploratory Concepts in Muscular Dystrophy II” (A. D. Milhorat ed.), Int. Congr. Ser. 333, 344, Excerpta Medical (Amsterdam 1974 ).Google Scholar
- 12.Pette, D., W. Müller, E. Leisner, G. Vrbovâ: Time Dependent Effects on Contractile Properties, Fibre Population, Myosin Light Chains and Enzymes of Energy Metabolism in Intermittently and Continuously Stimulated Fast Twitch Muscles of the Rabbit. Pflügers Arch. 364, 103 (1976).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar