Stochastic Materials Design of Fibrous Composite Laminates
One of the major objectives of this paper is to offer a practical tool for materials design of unidirectional composite laminates under in-plane multi-axial load. Design-oriented failure criteria of composite materials are applied to construct the evaluation model of probabilistic safety based on the extended structural reliability theory. Typical failure criteria such as maximum stress, maximum strain and quadratic polynomial failure criteria are compared from the viewpoint of reliability-oriented materials design of composite materials. The new design diagram which shows the feasible region on in-plane strain space and corresponds to safety index or failure probability is also proposed. These stochastic failure envelope diagrams which are drawn in in-plane strain space enable one to evaluate the stochastic behavior of composite laminate with any lamination angle under multi-axial stress or strain condition. Numerical analysis for graphite/epoxy laminate of T300/5208 is shown for the comparative verification of failure criteria under the various combinations of multi-axial load conditions and lamination angles. The stochastic failure envelopes of T300/5208 are also described in in-plane strain space.
KeywordsStochastic materials design composite materials reliability failure probability safety index first/second order reliability method stochastic failure envelopes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Coleman, B.D., Fox, T.G., General theory of stationary random sequences with application to the tacticity of polymers, J. Polymer Sci., 1 (1963) 3183–3197.Google Scholar
- 8.Chamis, C.C., Failure criteria for filamentary composites, Composite Material:Testing and Design, ASTM STP 460, ASTM, 1970, pp. 336–350.Google Scholar
- 13.Fiessler, B., Neumann, H.J., Rackwitz, R., Quadratic limit state in structural reliability,” J. Eng. Mech. Div., ASCE, 105 (1979) 661–676.Google Scholar
- 15.Madsen, H.O., Krenk, S., Lind, N. C., Methods of Structural Safety, Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1986, pp. 65–69.Google Scholar
- 16.Fujita, M., Rackwitz, R., Updating first- and second- order reliability estimates by importance sampling, Proc. JSCE, No.392/I-9 (1988) 53–59.Google Scholar
- 17.Nakayasu, H., Maekawa, Z., Parameter sensitivity study of uni-directional fiber reinforced composite laminates subjected to off-axial loads, Trans. JSME, 40 (1991) 289–295 (in Japanese).Google Scholar