Postdenervation Muscular Changes in Facial Paralysis
Though facial paralysis is primarily manifested by weakness of the facial muscles, the study of denervation changes in these muscles has received little attention by researchers and clinicians working in this field. The present report reviews what happens in the facial muscles following facial paralysis of varying duration.
KeywordsFacial Nerve Facial Muscle Facial Paralysis Congenital Muscular Dystrophy Centronuclear Myopathy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abde-Baki F et al. (1987) The effect of denervation on facial muscles of rabbit and the role of electrotherapy: histological and electron microscopic study. Egypt J Otolaryngol 4: 25–32Google Scholar
- 3.Belal A (1984) Muscle biopsy in facial palsy. In: Portmann M (ed) Proceedings of the 5th international symposium of the facial nerve, pp 194–197Google Scholar
- 4.Belal A (1985) Structure of human muscle in facial paralysis: role of muscle biopsy. In: May M (ed) The facial nerve, pp 99–106Google Scholar
- 5.Crumley R (1982) Current status of muscle biopsy in facial paralysis. Facial paralysis study group. AAO, Dollars, TexasGoogle Scholar
- 6.Densert O, Wersall J (1974) The morphology of middle ear muscles in mammals. In: Keidel WD, Neff WD (eds) Handbook of sensory physiology, vol 5. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 7.Hirayama M, Daly JF (1974) Ultrastructure of the middle ear muscles in the rabbit. I. Stapedius muscle. Acta Otolaryngol 77: 13–18Google Scholar
- 8.Iwano F, Kituchi A, Koike Y (1984) Post-denervation changes in facial muscles in rats. Facial N Res Jpn 4: 61–63Google Scholar
- 9.Kawasaki K et al. (1986) Changes in the facial muscles of rats after denervation - biochemical and histological observation of myosin ATPase. Facial N Res Jpn 6: 54–56Google Scholar
- 13.Stennert H, Goebel H, Schwarting S, Schroder M (1984) Morphology of human mimic musculature. In: Portmann M (ed) Proceedings of the 5th international symposium of the facial nerve, pp 194–197Google Scholar
- 14.Sahashi M et al. (1990) Facial muscle involvement in chronic progressive external ophthalmoplegia. Facial N Res Jpn 10: 92Google Scholar