Expression of B-Cell-Associated Antigens During B-Cell Ontogeny
The development of the B-cell lineage from stem cells to mature B lymphocytes and antibody-secreting plasma cells is a multistep process of differentiation. Stages of B-cell maturation have been characterized by the rearrangement and expression of the immunoglobulin (Ig) genes, by surface markers, and by susceptibilities to growth and differentiation factors (Tonegawa 1983; Alt et al. 1986; Campana et al. 1985; Loken et al. 1987; Kishimoto 1987; Cooper 1987). B-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia’s are presumed to result from leukemogenic events that occur in progenitor B cells during early phases of B-cell ontogeny and lead to a maturational arrest at discrete stages of early B-cell differentiation (Greaves 1986). Recently published data on molecular components of the B-cell antigen receptor complex, molecules selectively expressed in pre-B cells, and B-lineage- associated differentiation antigens have provided a new insight into early B-cell development, and this will contribute to a better understanding of the cell biology of B-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia’s.
KeywordsLymphoma Leukemia Recombination Polypeptide Disulfide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dörken B, Pezzutto A, Köhler M, Thiel E, Hunstein W (1987) Expression of cytoplasmic CD22 in B-cell ontogeny. In: McMichael AJ (ed) Leukocyte typing III. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp 474–476Google Scholar
- Dörken B, Möller P, Pezzutto A, Schwartz-Albiez RS, Moldenhauer G (1989) B cell antigens: section report, CD10, CD19–24, CD37–40, CD72-w78, CD45-like group, unclustered antibodies. In: Knapp W, Dörken B, Gilks WR, Rieber EP, Schmidt RE, Stein H, von dem Borne AEGK (eds) Leukocyte typing IV. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Nadler LM, Korsmeyer SJ, Anderson KC, Boyd AW, Slaughenhoupt B, Park E, Jensen J, Coral F, Mayer RJ, Sallan SE, Ritz J, Schlossman SF (1984) B cell origin of non-T cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. A model for discrete stages of neoplastic and normal pre-B cell differentiation. J Clin Invest 74: 332–240PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Thompson LF, Ruedi JM, Glass A, Moldenhauer G, Moller P, Low MG, Klemens MR, Massaia M, Lucas AH (1990) Production and characterization of monoclonal antibodies to the glycosyl phosphatidylinositol-anchored lymphocyte differentiation antigen ecto-5′-nucleotidase (CD73). Tissue Antigens 35: 9–19CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tsubata T, Tsubata R, Reth M (1991) Cell surface expression of the short immunoglobulin μ chain (Dυ protein) in murine pre-B cells is differently regulated from that of the intact u chain. Eur J Immunol (in press)Google Scholar
- von Hoegen I, Nakayama E, Parnes JR (1990) Identification of a human protein homologous to the mouse Lyb-2 B cell differentiation antigen and sequence of the corresponding cDNA. J Immunol 144: 4870–4877Google Scholar