Elastic Properties of YbX (X = As, P, N) Single Crystals Determined by Brillouin Scattering from Surface Acoustic Phonons
Inelastic light scattering techniques probe the samples by a contactless way at a small laser beam spot and therefore experiments under various conditions are possible. Brillouin scattering (BS) detects thermally excited phonons with a wavevector k ≌ 0 in the GHz range. Recently performed Raman and Infrared absorption experiments  on stoichiometric single crystals spurred a complete determination of the elastic properties of the Yb monopnictides with respect to a complete identification of both optical and acoustic phonons.
KeywordsElastic Constant Surface Acoustic Wave Acoustic Phonon Angular Dispersion Oriented Plane
- L.Degiorgi,G.Compagnini,S.Teraoka and P.Wachter,to be published.Google Scholar
- E.Kaldis, B.Steinmann, B.Fritzler, E.Jilek, A.Wisard, in The Rare Earths in Modern Science and Technology, ed. by J.McCarthy et al.Google Scholar
- M.W.Elmiger, J.Henz, H.v.Kanel, M.Ospelt, P.Wachter, Surface and Interface Analysis 14, 18 (1989).Google Scholar
- R.E.Newnham, in Structure—Property Relations, Springer,1975,173.Google Scholar
- N.W.Ashcroft, N.D.Mermin,Solid State Physics,Holt—Saunders ed.,1981Google Scholar