Catalytic Ignition Model in Monolithic Reactor with In-Depth Reaction
A transient model has been developed to study ignition in a monolithic catalytic reactor. The special features are the inclusion of thermal and species structures in the porous catalytic layer and the resolution of small-time-scale events. Catalyst loading is used as a parameter to study these structure variations before and after ignition. Regions where the catalytic reaction is kinetically controlled and regions where the reaction is diffusionally controlled are identified in both steady and transient states.
KeywordsCatalyst Loading Maximum Reaction Rate Catalytic Layer Damkohler Number Solid Temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sackheim, R. L.: Survey of Space Applications of Mono-propellant Hydrazine Propulsion System, Tenth Int. Sym. in Space Technology and Science, Tokyo, 1973.Google Scholar
- 2.Zurawski, R. L. and Green, J.: Catalytic Ignition of Hydrogen/Oxygen, Presented at the AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE 24th Joint Propulsion Conf., pp. 11–13, July 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.Kesten, A. S. and Sangiovanni, J. J.: Transient Model of Hydrogen/Oxygen Reactor, NASA CR-120799, February, 1971.Google Scholar
- 4.Kelly, J. T., Kendall, R. M., Chu, E. and Kesselring, J. P.: Development and Application of the PROF-HET Catalytic Combustor Code, Paper Presented at the 1977 Fall Meeting Western States Section, The Combustion Institute.Google Scholar
- 6.Zurawski, R. L.: Personal communication.Google Scholar
- 8.Shina, N., Bruno, C., and Bracco, F. V.: Two-Dimensional Transient Combustion of CO/Air on Platinum, J. Physicochem. Hydrodynamics, 1982.Google Scholar
- 10.Maymo, J. A. and Smith, J. M.: Catalytic Oxidation of Hydrogen-Intrapellet Heat and Mass Transfer, A. I. Ch. E. J., Vol. 12, p. 845, 1966.Google Scholar
- 11.Musiak, J. D.: Experimentally Measured Ignition Delay Times and Proposed Kinetic Model for Hydrogen-Oxygen, M. S. Thesis, Case Western Reserve University, 1989.Google Scholar
- 12.Kanury, A. M.P.: Introduction to Combustion Phenomena, Gordon and Beach, New York, 1982.Google Scholar
- 13.Tien, T. C.: Catalytic Ignition Model in a Monolithic Reactor with In-depth Reaction, Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, 1991.Google Scholar