Reliability Based Inspection Strategy for a Highway Bridge
Planning of inspections is an important part of a bridge management system. It has been based mostly on judgement, and some countries have only one type of periodical inspection of steel bridges. The intervals between inspections are usually between 1 and 6 years. Other countries have superficial inspections every year or more often and more detailed inspections every 3–5 years. However, with limited resources available for maintenance there is a growing interest in optimization of inspection strategies. Sørensen & Thoft-Christensen  considered the problem of concrete bridges subjected to corrosion of reinforcement. An optimum approach with two types of inspection was determined for a T-beam. Sommer & Thoft-Christensen  described the work done on optimization of inspection strategies.
KeywordsShear Capacity Live Load Moment Capacity Corrosion Parameter Inspection Strategy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Sorensen, J.D., P. Thoft-Christensen, Integrated Reliability-Based Optimal Design of Structures, Proc. IFIP WG 7.5, Conference on Reliability and Optimization of Structural Systems (ed. P. Thoft-Christensen), Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Engineering, Vol. 33, 1987, pp. 385–398.Google Scholar
- Sommer, A.M., P. Thoft-Christensen, Inspection and Maintenance of Marine Steel Structures - State-of-the-Art, Structural Reliability Theory, Paper no. 74, The University of Aalborg, Denmark, 1990.Google Scholar
- Kayser, J.R., The Effects of Corrosion on the Reliability of Steel Girder Brid-ges, Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Michigan, 1988.Google Scholar
- Komp, M.E., Atmospheric Corrosion Ratings of Weathering Steels–Calculation and Significance, Materials Performance 26 (7), 1987, pp. 42–44.Google Scholar
- Albrecht, P., A.H. Naeemi, Performance of Weathering Steel in Bridges, Report 272, NCHRP, Transportation Research Board, Washington, July 1984.Google Scholar
- PROBAN-2, User’s Manual, A.S. Veritas Research Report No. 892024, Hovik, Norway, 1989.Google Scholar
- Hong, Y.K., Live Load Models for Girder Bridges, Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Michigan, 1990.Google Scholar
- Nowak, A.S., Y.K. Hong and E.S. Hwang, Calculation of Load and Resistance Factors for OHBDC 1990, Report UMCE 90–06, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, April 1990.Google Scholar