Extraction of Atmospheric Signals from Radiance Measurements: Some Limitations
The ability to extract useful information from measured radiances, whether for meteorological or climate purposes, is reliant upon a proper understanding of the error characteristics of the measurements and resulting products. Data error characteristics of the current generation of infrared and microwave sounders are discussed, and the resulting consequences for a physical retrieval algorithm demonstrated.
KeywordsMicrowave Covariance Shrinkage Assimilation Nash
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chedin, A., 1988: Editor; Report on the ITRA (Intercomparison of Transmittance and Radiance Algorithms) Campaign and Workshop. Pub. International Radiation Commission.Google Scholar
- Mclnturff, R.M., F.G. Finger, K.W. Johnson and J.D. Laver 1979: Day - night differences in radiosonde observations in the stratosphere and troposphere. NOAA Technical Memorandum NWS NMC 63, 47 pp.Google Scholar
- McMillin, L.M., M.J. Uddstrom and A Coletti, 1992: A procedure for correcting radiosonde reports for radiation errors. Submitted to Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology.Google Scholar
- Nash, J. and F.J. Schmidlin, 1987: Final Report of the WMO International Radiosonde Comparison (U.K. 1984, U.S.A. 1985), Instruments and Observing Methods, Rep No. 30, 103 pp.Google Scholar
- NOAA/NESS 107 Rev 1, 1988: Data extraction and calibration of the TIROS-N/NOAA Radi- ometers. NOAA Technical Memorandum NESS 107 - Rev. 1, 58 pp.Google Scholar
- Neter, J., W. Wasserman and M.H. Kutner, 1989: Applied linear regression models, Second Edition. Pub. Irwin, Homewood, IL, U.S.A. 667 pp.Google Scholar
- Reale, A.L., H E. Fleming, D.Q. Wark, C.S. Novak, F.S. Zbar, J.R. Neilon, M.E. Gelman and H.J. Bloom, 1990: Baseline Upper Air Network (BUAN) Final Report. NOAA Technical Report NESDIS 52, 57 pp.Google Scholar
- Schmidlin, F.J. and J.K. Luers, 1987: US Radiosonde temperature errors, methods of correction and evidence of data improvement. In Extended Abstracts to 6th AMS Symposium on Methods of Observation and Instrumentation, New Orleans, LA, U.S.A. Pub American Meteorological Society, 463–466.Google Scholar
- Spänkuch, D., 1988: In Report on the ITRA (Intercomparison of Transmittance and Radiance Algorithms) Campaign and Workshop. Pub. International Radiation Commission.Google Scholar
- Uddstrom, M.J. 1991: Forward model errors. In the technical Proceedings of the sixth International TOVS Study Conference, Airlie, VA, U.S.A., Pub CIMSS, University of Wisconsin, 501-516.Google Scholar
- Weinreb, M.P., H.E. Fleming, L.M. McMillin and A.C. Neuendorffer, 1981: Transmittances for the TIROS operational vertical sounder. NOAA Technical Report NESS 85, 60 pp.Google Scholar