Instability of the Medial Collateral Ligament: Operative or Nonoperative Treatment?
Based on favorable long-term results, O’Donoghue (1950,1955) and later Hughston and Eilers (1973) advocated the operative treatment of injuries of the medial collateral ligament (MCL) of the knee. But the 98% success rate reported by Ellsasser et al. in 1974 following the conservative treatment of isolated medial collateral ligament tears led to renewed interest in the nonoperative management of this common ligamentous injury, which became the subject of further investigations (Bergfeld 1979; Derscheid and Garick 1981; Fetto and Marshall 1978; Hastings 1980; Indelicate 1983; Jones et al. 1986; O’Connor 1979). Although the outcomes in these studies are quite convincing, there are significant discrepancies in terms of diagnosis (especially the grading of injuries by severity), treatment methods, and follow-up criteria.
KeywordsCruciate Ligament Medial Opening Valgus Stress Collateral Ligament Injury Posterior Oblique Ligament
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ellsasser JC, Reynolds FC, Omohundro JR (1974) The non-operative treatment of collateral ligament injuries of the knee in professional football players: An analysis of seventy-four injuries treated non-operatively and twenty-four injuries treated surgically. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 56:1185–1190Google Scholar
- Haftgoli-Bakhtiari J (1981) Déchirure isolée du ligament croisé antérieur et arthroscopic. Med Hyg 39: 1621–1622Google Scholar
- Hughston JC, Eilers AF (1973) The role of the posterior oblique ligament in repairs of acute medial (collateral) ligament tears of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 55: 923–940Google Scholar
- Hughston JC, Andrews JR, Cross MJ, Moschi A (1976) Classification of knee ligament instabilities, Part I: The medial compartment and cruciate ligaments. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 58:159–172Google Scholar
- Indelicato PA (1983) Non-operative treatment of complete tears of the medial collateral ligament of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 65: 323–329Google Scholar
- Noyes FR, Bassett RW, Grood ES, Butler DL (1980) Arthroscopy in acute traumatic hemarthrosis of the knee: Incidence of anterior cruciate tears and other injuries. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 62: 687–695Google Scholar
- O’Donoghue DH (1950) Surgical treatment of fresh injuries to the major ligaments of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 32:721–737Google Scholar
- O’Donoghue DH (1955) An analysis of end results of surgical treatment of major injuries to the ligaments of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 37:1–124Google Scholar
- Warren LF, Marshall JL (1979) The supporting structures and layers on the medial side of the knee: An anatomical analysis. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 61: 56–62Google Scholar