Design Improvements of a Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Based on Practical Experience and Numerical Analysis
It is shown that the performance, maintenance and lifespan of a vertical shell and tube evaporator critically depends on the geometry near the outlet. Several different geometries are examined both theoretically and experimentally, utilizing some heat exchangers of Shell Chemie B.V. Wear mechanisms are located, recognized and quantified with the aid of an eddy current measuring technique. In situ measurements during operation are performed in order to verify the 2-D numerical modelling.
KeywordsHeat Exchanger Wear Rate Mass Flow Rate Shell Side Baffle Plate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.J. Heilker and R.Q. Vincent Vibration in nuclear heat exchangers due to liquid and two-pase flow. Trans. of ASME, Vol. 103, 1981Google Scholar
- 2.Pettigrew M.J., Y. Sylvestre and A.O. Campagna Flow-induced vibration analysis of heat exchanger and steam generator designs. 4th Int. Conf. on structural mechanics in reactor techn., San Fransisco, part F6/1, 1977Google Scholar
- 3.R. Bakker Wear mechanisms and design aspects. Report WOC-WET 90.031, Eindhoven University of Technology, 1990Google Scholar
- 4.G.S. Springer Erosion by liquid impact. J. Wiley & Sons, New York, 1976Google Scholar
- 5.S.J. Green Thermal, hydraulic and corrosion aspects of PWR steam generator problems. Heat Transfer Eng., Vol. 9, no. 1, 1988Google Scholar
- 6.Several authors Corrosion and other types of damage. Hemisphere Publication Corporation, New York, 1983Google Scholar
- 7.R.G. Keck and P. Griffith Prediction and mitigation of erosive/corrosive wear in secondary piping systems of nuclear power plants. Nureg/CR-5007, R5; MIT; Cambridge, MA 0222139, 1987Google Scholar
- 8.J.G. Hines and F. Neufeld. Corrosion of mild steel due to impingement in the make-gas stream. In “Materials technology in steam reforming processes”, ed. C. Edeleanu, Pergamon, Oxford, pp. 357–369, 1966.Google Scholar
- 9.Several authors Metals handbook; ninth edition Volume 13, “Corrosion”; American Soc. of Mech.Eng. pp. 964-996, 1989Google Scholar
- 11.M.P.A. Houtermans Numerical analysis of the two-phase flow on shell side of “shell-and-tube” heat exchangers. Report WOC-WET 90.029, Eindhoven University of Technology, 1990.Google Scholar