A Simplified Model for Helical Heat Exchanger for Long-Term Energy Storage in Soil
A simplified numerical code for thermal analysis of a helical heat exchanger for use in long-term thermal energy storage in soil was developed. The model was verified for a particular case for which an analytical solution was available from the literature and was validated with experimental data obtained from field experiments. The differences between predicted and measured data were in the range of ±1°C, which is considered satisfactory for engineering design purposes. The model was prepared for use with an personal computer and thus provides a convenient and reliable design tool for such a system. The computer code may be easily modified for the study of the influence of incorporating phase-change material elements in the storage well.
KeywordsClay Convection Polypropylene Emissivity Editing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Reuss, M.; Schulz, H.; Wagner, B.; Solar Assisted Heat with Seasonal Storage. FAO Workshop at the IHTC 9, Jerusalem, Israel, (August 1990).Google Scholar
- 2.Nir, A.; Doughty, C.; Tsang, C.F.; Seasonal Heat Storage in Unsaturated Soils: Example of Design Study. Proc. 21 Intersol, Energy Conversion Engineering Conf., San Diego, Vol. 2 (1986) pp. 669–675.Google Scholar
- 3.Doughty, C.; Korin, E.; Nir, A.; Tsang, C.F.; Seasonal Storage of Thermal Energy in Unsaturated Soils: Simulation and Field Validation. Part I, STES, Vol. XII, No. 1, 1-5, 1990, Part II (in press)Google Scholar
- 4.McAdams, W.H.; Heat Transmission, 3rd edition, McGraw Hill, New York, 1954.Google Scholar
- 5.Pramelee, G.V.; Aubele, W.W.; Radiant Energy Emission of Atmosphere and Ground, Heating, Piping and Air conditioning. ASHRE Journal (1951) p. 123.Google Scholar
- 6.Schmidt, F.W.; Szego, J.; Transient Response of Solid Sensible Heat Thermal Storage Units-Single Fluid. J. Heat Transfer, Aug. (1976) pp. 471-477.Google Scholar
- 7.Jager, J.C.; Carslaw, H.S.; Conduction of Heat in Solids, p. 199, p.397, Clarendon Press, Oxford, U.K., 1959.Google Scholar
- 8.Nir, A.; Korin, E.; Tsang, C.F.; Seasonal Heat Storage in Unsaturated Soils: Model Development and Field Validation, Internal Report, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel (1990).Google Scholar