High Density Magnetic Recording. Recent Developments in Magnetic Tapes, Discs and Heads
- 261 Downloads
Magnetic recording technology, i.e. electrical signals recorded onto a magnetic medium in the form of magnetic remanence signals produced by a magnetic head, was primarily invented by Poulsen at the end of the 19th century. He recorded audio signals on a steel wire by a pole-type electromagnet. Present day audio-tape recorders (ATR) were completed and put into practical use just after the invention of magnetic tapes and ring-type magnetic heads in the 1930s. In the 1950s, video-tape recorders (VTR) and magnetic disc drives (MDD) used as computer peripherals were invented and used widely in industry. Today VTR and MDD have become popular and are widely used consumer products. In many fields of social activities, one has to appreciate the convenient tools arising from magnetic recording technology such as magnetic cards for various vending machines, tickets, certificates, magnetic scales for NC-machines, as well as the ATR, VTR and MDD mentioned above.
KeywordsMagnetic Tape Magnetic Layer Magnetic Recording Magnetic Medium Track Width
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 12.1E. Hirota: J. Japan Inst. Metals, Vol. 21, No. 11 (1982) 837 (in Japanese) G. Bate: Ferrites, Proc. Int. Conf., Japan (1980) p. 509 Y. Imaoka, K. Takada, T. Hamabata, F. Maruta: ibid., p. 516Google Scholar
- 12.2.Y. Imaoka, S. Umeki, Y. Kubota, Y. Tokuoka: IEEE Trans. Magn. MAG-14, 649 (1978) M. Amemiya, M. Kishimoto, F. Hayama: IEEE Trans. Magn. MAG-16, 17 (1980)Google Scholar
- 12.3.E. Hirota, T. Mihara, T. Kawamata, Y. Terada: National Tech. Rep., 20, 639 (1974)Google Scholar
- 12.4.G. Akashi: Ferrites, Proc. Int. Conf., Sept-Oct. Japan p. 548 (1980)Google Scholar
- 12.5.M. Nagao, Y. Suganuma, H. Tanaka, F. Goto, M. Yanagisawa: 8th Colloquium of Mag. Soc. of Japan, 51 (1978)Google Scholar
- 12.6.Y. Maezawa, M. Takao, H. Hibino, M. Odagiri, K. Shinohara: 4th Int. Conf. Video Data Rec., 20 (1982) T. Fujita, M. Odagiri, K. Shinohara: Nat. Tech. Rep. 28  502 (1982)Google Scholar
- 12.7.S. Hattori, A. Tago, S. Yoshii: 18th Colloquium of Mag. Soc. of Japan, 25 (1977)Google Scholar
- 12.8.S. Iwasaki, Y. Nakamura, K. Ouchi: IEEE Trans. Mag. MAG-15, 1456 (1979) S. Iwasaki, K. Ouchi, N. Honda: IEEE Trans. Mag. MAG-16, 1111 (1980) Collected Papers on “Perpendicular Recording”; 18th Symp. of Res. Inst. Elect. Comm. Tohoku Univ. (1982)Google Scholar
- 12.9.E. Hirota, K. Kugimiya, K. Hirota: Ferrite, Proc. Int. Conf., Sept.-Oct. Japan (1980) p. 667Google Scholar
- 12.10.R.E. Jones, Jr.: IBM disk storage technology, p. 6–9; Feb. (1980) K. Kanni, N. Kaminaka, N. Nomura: IEEE Trans. Mag., MAG-15, 1130Google Scholar