Experimental Study of the Supersonic Boundary Layer Stability on the Cone-Cylinder Model
The present paper describes the carried out experimental studies of the supersonic laminar boundary layer stability on the cone-cylinder model. The method of introducing the artificial disturbances into the supersonic flow is used. The wave characteristics of unstable plane waves in zero pressure gradient boundary layer of conical part of the model are obtained. The comparison of these characteristics with the results of the hydrodynamic stability theory and the experimental data for a flat plate is made. The development of the disturbances in the zone of interaction of boundary layer and expansion fan area are investigated. It is shown that the disturbances consisting of a vortical and compressible modes are engendered in a supersonic boundary layer by a local source of artificial disturbances. A portion of the compressible mode in the gradient pressure flow is essentially higher than in the zero-gradient one. A strong stabilizing influence of the negative pressure gradient on the disturbances has been found. The three dimensional disturbances of the vortical mode with angles of the wave vector to the flow being χ = 40–60° are found to be the most unstable in the supersonic boundary layer of the cone.
KeywordsBurning Tungsten Acoustics Verse Estima
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kendall, J.M.: Boundary layer stability experiments. JPL Space Programm Summary 37–39. 4 (1966) 147–149.Google Scholar
- 2.Kosinov, A.D.; Maslow, A.A.: Development of artificially excited disturbances in supersonic boundary layer. Laminar-Turbulent Transition. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag (1985) 601–606.Google Scholar
- 3.Gaponov, S.G.; Petrov G.V.: Supersonic boundary layer stability in turning flow (in Russian). Izv. SO AN SSSR (1987) N 18, 25–30.Google Scholar
- 4.Kosinov, A.D; Maslov,A.A.: Experiments on stability of supersonic laminar boundary layers. J. Fluid Mech. (to appear).Google Scholar
- 5.Maslov, A.A., Semionov, N.V.: Acoustic disturbances and supersonic laminar boundary layer. Problems of Nonlinear Acoustics. Novosibirsk: IGD SO AN SSSR (1987) 132–134.Google Scholar
- 6.Kosinov, A.D.; Maslov, A.A.; Shevelkov, S.G.: Experimental investigation of the supersonic boundary layer wave structure (in Russian). Zhurnal Prikladnoi Mekhaniki i Tekhnicheskoi Fiziki (1986) N 5, 107–111.Google Scholar