Wake Studies on Yawed, Stranded Cables
The study of the near wake on a cable yawed with respect to a uniform flow was performed using five rigid cable models and a cylinder in a low speed wind tunnel. The models were tested at a Reynolds number of 6,000 based on diameter. Smoke-wire flow visualization was used to qualitatively and quantitatively evaluate the near wake flows. Hot wire measurements of the wake frequency spectrum were obtained. Results show that cable stranding affects shedding characteristics and near wake structure.
KeywordsCircular Cylinder Flow Visualization Lift Force Strouhal Number Vortex Filament
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Batill, S. M. and Mueller, T. J., “Visualization of the Laminar-Turbulent Transition in the Flow Over an Airfoil Using the Smoke-Wire Technique,” AIAA 11th Aerodynamic Testing Conference, March 1980Google Scholar
- Batill, S. M., Nelson, R. C., and Nebres, J. V., “An Experimental Investigation of the Flow Field Around Yawed, Stranded Cables”, Naval Coastal Systems Center Technical Report, December 1988Google Scholar
- Blevins, R.D., Flow Induced Vibration, Van Nostrand Reinhold Co. Publ., New York, 1977Google Scholar
- Griffin, O. M., Flow-Induced Oscillations of OTEC Mooring and Anchoring Cables: State of the Art, Naval Research Laboratory Memorandum Report 4766, May 1982Google Scholar
- Horton, K. J., Ferrer, C. M., Watson, K. P., and Charvoz, D., Measuremént of the Hydrodynamic Force and Strum Characteristics of Stranded Cables, Naval Coastal Systems Center Technical Memorandum 471–87, December 1987 Google Scholar
- Nebres, J.V, J.V., “Flow Around Yawed Stranded Cables,” M.S. Thesis, Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, May 1989Google Scholar
- Ramberg, S. E., “The Influence of Yaw Angle Upon the Vortex Wakes of Stationary and Vibrating Cylinders,” Naval Research Laboratory Memorandum Report 3822, August 1978 Google Scholar
- Simpson, A., “Fluid Dynamic Stability Aspects of Cables,” Proceedings of the Mechanics of Wave-Induced Forces on Cylinders, p. 90–132, T. L. Shaw, ed., Pitman Advanced Publishing Program, London, 1979Google Scholar