Resolution Requirements for Numerical Simulations of Transition
The resolution requirements for direct numerical simulations of transition to turbulence are investigated. A reliable resolution criterion is determined from the results of several detailed simulations of channel and boundary-layer transition.
KeywordsVortex Convection Vorticity Advection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biringen, S. (1987): Three-dimensional Vortical Structures of Transition in Plane Channel Flow, AIAA Paper No. 87-0046.Canuto, C.; Hussaini, M. Y.; Quarteroni, A.; and Zang, T. A. (1988): Spectral Methods in Fluid Dynamics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Gilbert, N.; and Kleiser, L. (1986): Subcritical transition to turbulence in channel flow, in Direct and Large Eddy Simulation of Turbulence, U. Schumann and R. Friedrich (eds.), pp. 1 - 18, Vieweg, Braunschweig.Google Scholar
- Hama, F. R.; and Nutant, J. (1963): Detailed flow-field observations in the transition process in a thick boundary layer, in Proc. of the 1963 Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics Institute, pp. 77 - 93, Stanford Univ. Press, Palo Alto.Google Scholar
- Kovasznay, L. S.; Komoda, II.; and Vasudeva, B. R. (1962): Detailed flow field in transition, in Proc. 1962 Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics Institute, pp. 1 - 16, Stanford Univ. Press, Palo Alto.Google Scholar
- Lowery, P. S.; Reynolds, W. C.; and Mansour, N. N. (1987): Passive Scalar Entrainment and Mixing in a Forced, Spatially-developing Mixing Layer, AIAA Paper No. 87 - 0132.Google Scholar
- Zang, T. A. (1989): On the rotation and skew-symmetric forms for incompressible flow simulations, Appl. Numer Math., in press.Google Scholar
- Zang, T. A.; and Hussaini, M. Y. (1987): Numerical simulation of nonlinear interactions in channel and boundary-layer transition, in Nonlinear Wave Interactions in Fluids - AMDVol. 87, R. W. Miksad, T. R. Akylas and T. Herbert, eds., ASME, New York, pp. 131 - 145.Google Scholar
- Zang, T. A.; and Krist, S. E. (1989): Numerical experiments on stability and transition in planeGoogle Scholar