The Delayed Appearance of Infectious Hematopoietic Necrosis Virus (IHNV) in Steelhead Trout (Salmo gairdneri)
Infectious hematopoietic necrosis (IHN) is a nontreatable viral disease of certain species of salmonid fish (Pilcher and Fryer, 1980). The disease, once confined to limited geographical areas, has in the past decade become widely disseminated. The virus has been responsible for important economic losses of cultured and wild fish in the Pacific Northwest of the USA (Groberg and Fryer, 1983), Disease caused by IHNV has increased significantly and control has become important to the successful culture of salmonids. Because there are no vaccines or drugs available, control depends on preventing horizontal and vertical transmission of the virus. This is done by egg incubation and rearing in virus-free water and propagation of eggs from virus-free parents (Groberg and Fryer, 1983). The efficacy of these methods of control is equivocal and often difficult to assess.
KeywordsCellulose Formalin Arthritis Leukemia Penicillin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amos KH (ed) (1985) Procedures for the detection and identification of certain fish pathogens. Fish Health Section American Fisheries Society Corvallis OregonGoogle Scholar
- Enzmann PJ (1981) Rapid identification of VHS-virus from trout by immunofluorescence. Develop Biol Standard 49: 57–62Google Scholar
- Groberg WJ, Fryer JL (1983) Increased occurrences of infectious hematopoietic necrosis virus in fishes at Columbia River Basin hatcheries. Oregon State Univ Sea Grant College Prog ORESU-T-83-002Google Scholar
- LaPatra SE, Groberg WJ (1985) Delayed appearance of IHNV in stored summer steelhead eggs. Am Fish Soc Fish Health Sect Newsl 13: 3Google Scholar
- LaPatra SE, Rohovec JS (1987) Indirect fluorescent antibody test for IHNV. Am Fish Soc Fish Health Sect Newsl 15: 2Google Scholar
- LaPatra SE, Roberti KA, Rohovec JS, Fryer JL (1988) Fluorescent antibody test for the rapid detection of infectious hematopoietic necrosis. J Aquat Animal Health (submitted)Google Scholar
- Narayna O, Kennedy-Stoskopf S, Sheffer D, Griffin DE, Clements JE (1983) Activation of carpine arthritis-encephalitis virus expression during maturation of monocytes to macrophages. Infect Immun 41: 67–73Google Scholar