“Occursus Cum Novo” - Computer Animation by Ray Tracing in a Network
The goal of the project “Occursus Cum Novo” was to generate a complex photo-realistic animation of nontrivial length in reasonable time at reasonable costs. Photographic realism comprises complex geometric models as well as simulation of several optical effects. This paper starts with an introduction to the “Occursus Cum Novo” modeling environment. Following the toolkit approach, it offers a set of tools for textual, graphical interactive, and simulative modeling, embedded in the UNIX programming environment. The second part is devoted to rendering. Photo-realistic pictures generated by raytracing are still those of highest quality. However, due to the tremendous time of computation, raytraced animations are rather rare. An organization scheme for rendering on a network of work stations is described which enabled us to generate a 5-minutes raytraced animation within 2 months without affecting any of the regular users of the work stations. The results of the project are of general interest since they show a way for efficient high quality photo-realistic animation synthesis for the future.
KeywordsComputer Animation Static Scene Network Queue Geometric Primitive Shell Script
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Boi84]J.-D. Boissonnat, Geometric Structures for 3-Dimensional Shape Representation, ACM Transactions on Graphics 4 (1985) 266–286Google Scholar
- [FTI86]A. Fujimoto, T. Tanaka, K. Iwata, ARTS: Accelerated Ray Tracing System, IEEE Computer Graphics & Appl., April 1986, 12–25Google Scholar
- [Gla86]A. S. Glassner, Space Subdivision for Fast Raytracing, IEEE Computer Graphics & Appl., October 1986, 15–22Google Scholar
- [MC86]H. Müller, A. Christmann, Realistic Image Synthesis on Vectorial Super Computers (in German), it-Informationstechnik 5 (1986) 275–280Google Scholar
- [MG87]H. Müller, B. Geiger, Reconstruction of Complex Solids from Planar Cross Sections and their High-Quality Display (in German), in: Proceedings Gl-Jahrestagung 1987, Informatik-Fachberichte 127, Springer-Verlag, 1987Google Scholar
- [Net86]Network File System Protocol Specification, Revision B, Sun Micro Systems, February 1986Google Scholar
- [Pet87]J.W. Peterson, Distributed Animation Summary, electronic mail firstname.lastname@example.org, May 1987Google Scholar
- [Pru86]P. Prusinkiewicz, Graphical Applications of L-Systems, Proceedings of Graphics Interface ’86 - Vision Interface ’86, 247–253Google Scholar
- [SML87]A. Schmitt, H. Müller, W. Leister, Ray Tracing Algorithms - Theory and Practice, to appear in NATO ASI Series: Theoretical Fundamentals of Computer Graphics, Springer-VerlagGoogle Scholar
- [Se85]C. Sequin, The Berkley UNIGRAFIX Tools, Version 2.5, Technical report UCB/CSD 86/281, Berkeley, University of California, 1985Google Scholar
- [Wav85]Wavefront Technologies, 1421 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101Google Scholar