Maximum Likelihood Reconstruction for SPECT Using Monte Carlo Simulation
Reconstructed images for single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) with quantitative compensation for scatter and attenuation are provided using Inverse Monte Carlo (IMOC): Maximum likelihood estimation with Monte Carlo modeling of the photon interaction and detection probabilities. Quantitative compensation was evaluated by comparing region of interest values for compensated images of line sources scanned in water with line sources scanned in air. Compensation was demonstrated for both 360° 180° acquisition. Lesion contrast was investigated for cold spheres in an active background.
KeywordsSingle Photon Emission Compute Tomography Line Source Single Photon Emission Compute Tomo Imaging Single Photon Emission Compute Tomo System Attenuation Compensation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beck, J.W. (1982). Analysis of a camera based single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) system. PhD Dissertation, 1982 Duke University, (University Microfilms) Ann Arbor, Michigan.Google Scholar
- Bell, G. and Glasstone, S. (1970). Nuclear Reactor Theory,Van-Nostrand Reinhold.Google Scholar
- Floyd, C.E., Jr., Jaszczak, R.J., Greer, K.L., and Coleman, R.E. (1985). Cone beam collimation for SPECT: simulation and reconstruction, IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. NS-33, pp. 511–514.Google Scholar
- Floyd, C.E., Jaszczak, R.J., Greer, K.L., and Coleman, R.E. (1986). Inverse Monte Carlo as a unified reconstruction algorithm for ECT, J. Nucl. Med. 27, pp. 1577–1585.Google Scholar
- Jaszczak, R.J., Greer, K.L., Floyd, Jr., C.E., Harris, C.C., and Coleman, R.E. (1984). Improved SPECT quantitation using compensation for scattered photons, J. Nucl. Med. 25, pp. 893–900.Google Scholar
- Lange, K. and Carson, R. (1984). EM reconstruction algorithms for emission and transmission tomography, J. Comput. Assist. Tomogr. 8, pp. 306–316.Google Scholar
- Lewis, E.E. and Miller, W.F. (1984). Computational Methods of Neutron Transport, John Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Vishampayan, S., Stamos, J., Mayans, R., Koral, K., Clinthorne, N., and Rogers, W.L. (1985). Maximum-likelihood image reconstruction for SPECT, J. Nucl. Med. 26, pp. 20.Google Scholar