Flow Between a Solid Wall and a Rotating Disc with Pressure Relief Holes
The report demonstrates the application of the PHOENICS code to analysis of the flow between rotor discs and solid walls in turbomachinery, with special emphasis on the effect of flow through pressure relief holes in the disc. The analysis involves full 3D solution of the momentum equations in an angular interval surrounding a pressure relief hole with cyclic boundary conditions in the circumferential direction. The variable settings in the satellite programme and the GROUND-station are described and typical results are presented and discussed.
KeywordsCircumferential Direction Rotor Disc Turbine Disc Outflow Boundary Condition Axial Turbine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Baibikov, A S and Lisichkin, G M: A Method of Calculation of the Axial Force Acting on a Turbine Disc, with Allowance for Leakage. Thermal Engineering 27 (9) (1980).Google Scholar
- (2).Björkman, M: Beräkning av turbulent återcirkulerande strömning i koniska diffusorer, samt mellan stator och turbinskiva i axialturbiner (Calculation of Turbulent Recirculating Flow in Conical Diffusers and between the Stator and the Turbine Disc in Axial Turbines). Master’s thesis, Linköping University, Sweden (1985).Google Scholar
- (3).Björkman, M and Veenhuizen, D J: Flow between a Rotating Disc and a Solid Wall. Paper presented at the PHOENICS User Seminar March 4, 1985 in Gothenburg, Sweden.Google Scholar
- (5).Owen, J M and Phadke, U P: An Investigation of Ingress for a Simple Shrouded Rotating Disc System with a Radial Outflow of Coolant. ASME 80-GT-49.Google Scholar
- (8).Spalding, D B et al: PHOENICS, An Instruction Manual. CHAM Ltd, London (1983).Google Scholar
- (9).Uzkan, T: The Effects of Coolant Air Inlet Conditions on the Flow Regime between a Turbine Disc and Its Casing. ASME 79-GT-35.Google Scholar
- (10).Veenhuizen D J: Beräkning av strömningsfältet mellan stator och rotorskiva i axialturbiner (Calculation of the Velocity Field between Stator and Rotor Disc in Axial Turbines). Master’s thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden (1981).Google Scholar