The Effect of Cracks on the Structural Strength of Beams and Portal Frames under Impact
As a first stage into the study of the effect of cracks on the dynamic response of beams and portal frames, an elastic analysis is presented. The method combines dynamic photoelasticity with a computer program based on the finite difference formulation of the equations of elasticity. The method is compared to an analytical approach using the Timoshenko beam theory. It is concluded that a hybrid experimental/mathematical model is the most appropriate for practical purposes.
KeywordsStress Intensity Factor Stress Wave Timoshenko Beam Timoshenko Beam Theory Portal Frame
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Plans, H. J., ‘Some solutions of the Timoshenko beam equation tor short pulse type loading’, Trans. ASME, J. Appd. Mech., 25 (1958) 379–385.Google Scholar
- 3.Corran, R. S. J., Mines, R. A. W. and Ruiz, C., ‘Elastic impact loading of notched beams and bars’, Int . J. Fracture, 17 (1983) 129–144.Google Scholar
- 4.Mines, R. A. W., ‘An experimental study of the response of notched bars ’, D. Phil thesis, Oxford University, 1984Google Scholar
- 5.Mines, R. A. W. and Ruiz;, C., ‘The dynamic behaviour of the instrumented Charpy test ’, DYMAT Conference, Paris, 1985.Google Scholar
- 6.Goicolea, J. M., Andrews, K. R. F. and England, G. L., ‘Numerical analysis of energy dissipating devices by an explicit time integration procedure’, Engineering Software, 3rd. Int. Conf., Imperial College, London, 1983.Google Scholar
- 7.Goldsmith, W., ‘Dynamic photoelasticity ’,Experimental techniques in shock and vibration, ’Watley, W. J., ed., ASME, 1962, 25–54.Google Scholar
- 8.Ruiz, C. and Mines, R. A. W., ‘The Hopkinson pressure bar: an alternative to the instrumented penduluum Charpy test ’, Int. J. Fracture Mech., to be published.Google Scholar
- 9.Ruiz, C., ‘Experimental determination of the stress distribution around notches and slits in cylindrical pressure vessels ’,Proc. 4th Int. Conf. Exp. Stress Analysis, Cambridge, I. Mech. E, 1970, 363–371.Google Scholar
- 11.G. C. Sih, ed., ‘Elastodynamic Crack problems,’ Ch. 5, 6, Noordhoff, 1977.Google Scholar
- 12.Kalthoff, J. F., in Workshop on Dynamic Fracture, W. G. Knauss et al, California Institute of Technology, 1983, 1–35.Google Scholar
- 13.Ruiz, C. and Epstein, J., ‘On the variation of the s.i.f. along the front of a surface flaw’, Int. J. Fracture, to be published.Google Scholar
- 14.Clough, R. W. and Penzian, J., Dynamics of Structures, McGraw Hill, 1975.Google Scholar