The Feeding Ecology of a Decreasing Feral House Cat, Felis catus, Population at Marion Island
A significant change has occurred in the diet of feral House Cats, Felts catus, at Marion Island, concomitant with an artificial reduction in the Cat population. Prior to population-reduction operations, burrowing petrels (Procellariidae) and the House Mouse, Mus musculus, constituted the main prey of the Cats. After control operations, the diet of the decreasing Cat population contained an increased proportion of House Mice, and the Kerguelen Petrel, Pterodroma brevirostris, no longer featured as a food item. The causes and effects of this change are discussed in terms of the flow of energy through the Cat population.
KeywordsLactate Felis Salvin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Apps Pi (1983) Behavioural ecology of the feral house cat (Fells catus Linnaeus) on Dassen Island, M.Sc. Thesis, University of Pretoria, South AfricaGoogle Scholar
- Holdgate MW (1966) The influence of introduced species on the ecosystem of temperate oceanic islands. In: Towards a new relationship of man and nature in temperate lands. Proceedings of the 10th Technical Meeting IUCN, Lucerne, 1966, IUCN Publications New Series 9: 151–176Google Scholar
- Scott PP, Scott MG (1967) Nutritive requirements for Carnivora. In: Conalty ML (ed) Husbandry and laboratory animals. Academic Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Van Aarde RJ (1977) Voeding, habitatsvoorkeur en voortplanting van die wilde huiskat Fells catus (Linnaeus 1758) op Marioneiland M.Sc. Thesis, University of Pretoria, South AfricaGoogle Scholar
- Van Aarde RJ (1978) Reproduction and population ecology in the feral house cat Fells catus on Marion Island. Carniv Genet Newsl 3: 288–316Google Scholar
- Van Aarde RJ (1979) Distribution and density of the feral house cat Fells catus on Marion Island. S Afr J Antarct Res 9: 14–19Google Scholar
- Van Aarde RJ (1980) The diet and feeding behaviour of feral cats, Fells catus at Marion Island. S Afr J Wildl Res 10: 123–128Google Scholar
- Van Aarde RJ (1983) Demographic parameters of the feral cat Fells catus population at Marion Island. S Afr J Wildl Res 13: 12–16Google Scholar
- Van Aarde RJ, Skinner JD (1981) The feral cat population at Marion Island: Characteristics, colonization and control. Paimpont, Corn nat fr Rech Antarctiques 51: 281–288Google Scholar