Uncertainties of LCC Predictions
Many Life Cycle Cost (LCC) Models treat costs as “point estimates“ or “most likely” predictions of what actual costs will be many years in the future. Actual costs, however, are not exact, but are subject to considerable uncertainty. This paper examines an analytical method for aggregating LCC component and subsystem costs so as to produce a total cost prediction and the uncertainty around it. The technique has been applied to aircraft and space based radar costs.
Four problems of LCC prediction will be given. Recent work by McNichols (1979) solves the first two problems. This paper describes a solution for the third problem.
KeywordsCovariance Radar Convolution Peaked Subsys
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- FISHER, G. (1971).Cost Considerations in Systems Analysis. American Elsevier, New York.Google Scholar
- KENDALL, M. G. and S. STUART (1967).The Advanced Theory of Statistics. Hoffner Publishing Co., New York.Google Scholar
- McNICHOLS, G. (1975). Independent Parametric Costing: What? Why? How?Proceedings, Spring Conference of the American Institute of Industrial Engineers. AIIE, Norcross, Georgia.Google Scholar
- McNICHOLS, G. (1976).On the Treatment of Uncertainty in Parametric Costing. Report T-330, ONR Program in Logistics, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- McNICHOLS, G. (1979). Treatment of Uncertainty in Life Cycle Costing.Proceedings, Annual Reliability & Maintainability Symposium. IEEE, New York.Google Scholar
- McNICHOLS, G. (1981). Cost-Risk Procedures for Weapon System Risk Analysis.Proceedings, Annual Reliability & Maintainability Symposium. IEEE, New York.Google Scholar
- PATTON, G. (1969). First Order Approximation of Cost Variance and Its Value.Proceedings Fourth Annual DoD Cost Research Symposium. Office of the Comptroller of the Navy, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- SOBEL, S. (1965).A Computerized Technique to Express Uncertainty in Advanced System Cost Estimates. The MITRE Corporation, TR-ESD-65–79, Bedford, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- TSOKOS, C. (1972). Probability Distributions: An Introduction to Probability Theory With Applications. Duxbury Press, Belmont, CA.Google Scholar