Adjuvant 5-Fluorouracil and BCNU Chemotherapy in Gastric Cancer: 3-Year Results
One hundred-three patients with a potentially curative operation of a histologically proven gastric cancer were randomly assigned to a control and chemotherapy group after stratification according to tumor stage II and III. Chemotherapy courses with 5-fluorouracil (10 mg/kg/day) and BCNU (40 mg/m2/day) for 5 days were administered eight times in 6–8 week intervals. Age, sex, and tumor location were matched in the chemotherapy and control groups. Five patients declined treatment after randomization. Three years after initiating the study, the tumor has recurred in 38 of the 103 patients. There were 21 recurrences of 54 controls and 14 recurrences of 44 patients who received chemotherapy, and 17 and ten deaths, respectively, due to tumor relapse. The results of our study to data show a high degree of statistical probability that adjuvant chemotherapy with the regime used has no influence on the recurrence-free interval and survival time in gastric cancer.
KeywordsGastric Cancer Adjuvant Chemotherapy Stomach Cancer Chemotherapy Group Tumor Relapse
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Engström P (to be published) Adjuvant therapy of gastric carcinoma: ECOG protocol comparing 5-FU plus MeCCNU versus untreated control. EORTC Symposium on Progress and Perspectives in the Treatment of Gastrointestinal Tumors, Brussels. Eur J CancerGoogle Scholar
- 4.Fujimoto S, Akao T, Itoh B, Koshizuka I, Koyano K, Kitsukawa Y, Takahashi M, Minami T, Ishigami H, Miyazaki M, Amamiya K, Ohyama Y, Ono K, Kure M, Itoh K, Hikosaka T (1977) Protracted oral chemotherapy with fluorinated pyrimidines as an adjuvant to surgical treatment for stomach cancer. Ann Surg 185:462–466PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Goffin IC (to be published) Controlled clinical trial for the treatment of patients with gastric cancer using surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Preliminary results. EORTC Symposium on Progress and Perspectives in the Treatment of Gastrointestinal Tumors, Brussels. Eur J CancerGoogle Scholar
- 7.Herfarth C, Schlag P (eds) (1979) Gastric cancer. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 9.Longmire WP (1977) Gewandelte Aspekte des Magenkarzinoms. Münch Med Wochenschr 119:613–616Google Scholar
- 14.Schlag P, Merkle P, Herfarth C (1979) Neue Aspekte in der Konzeption adjuvanter und nachsorgender Therapie des Magencarcinoms? Chirurg 50:432–435Google Scholar
- 15.Taguchi T, Hattori T, Inoue K, Kondo T, Ichiji I, Kikuchi K, Sugie S, Inokuchi K (1979) Multihospital randomized study on adjuvant chemotherapy with mitomycin + Futraful for gastric cancer. In: Jones SE, Salmon SE (eds) Adjuvant therapy of cancer II. Grune & Stratton, New York London Toronto Sydney San Francisco, pp 581–586Google Scholar