An Electron Microscopic Study of the Epiretinal Membrane of Human Eyes
An electron microscopic study was conducted to elucidate the cell types involved in the formation of epiretinal membranes in four cases. In three cases, the specimens were provided by a vitrectomy and pigment epithelial cells (two cases) and fibrocytes (one case) represented the preponderant constituents of the membrane, whereas the membrane consisted chiefly of glial cells in the fourth case in which an eye showing this condition was obtained by enucleation.
KeywordsGlial Cell Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cell Intercellular Junction Epiretinal Membrane Pigment Granule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bellhorn MB, Friedman AH, Wise GN, Henkind P (1975) Ultrastructure and clinicopathologic correlation of idiopathic preretinal macular fibrosis. Amer J Ophthalmol 79:366–373Google Scholar
- Clarkson JG, Green WR, Massof D (1977) A histopathologic review of 168 cases of preretinal membrane. Amer J Ophthalmol 84: 1–17Google Scholar
- Funahashi M, Okisaka S (1979) Histologic observation of preretinal fibrosis, (in Japanese with English summary). Acta Soc Ophthalmol Jap 83:851–863Google Scholar
- Ikui H (1974) Morphology and pathology of the retinal glia. Acta Soc Ophthalmol Jap 75: 1245–1263Google Scholar
- Kenyon KR, Michels RG (1977) Ultrastructure in epiretinal membrane removed by pars plana vitreoretinal surgery. Amer J Ophthalmol 83: 815–823Google Scholar
- Limon S, Offret H, Sourdille Ph (1978) Chirurgie du vitré, Bulletin des société d’ophtalmologie de France, Rapport annuel 1978. Diffusion Maloine, ParisGoogle Scholar
- Machemer R, Laqua H (1975) Pigment epithelium proliferation in retinal detachment (massive periretinal proliferation). Amer J Ophthalmol 80:1–19Google Scholar
- Machemer R, Horn DV. Aaberg TM (1978) Pigment epithelial proliferation in human retinal detachment with massive periretinal proliferation. Amer J Ophthalmol 85:181–191Google Scholar
- Rentsch FJ Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- Smith TR (1960) Pathologic findings after retina surgery. In: Importance of vitreous body in retinal surgery, L Schepens. Mosby, Ed St LouisGoogle Scholar
- Van Horn DL, Aaberg TM, Machemer R, Fenzl R (1977) Glial cell proliferation in human retinal detachment with massive periretinal proliferation. Amer J Ophthalmol 84:383–393Google Scholar