The Extension of a Macroscopic Crack at Elevated Temperature by the Growth and Coalescence of Microvoids
The extension of a macroscopic crack is analysed based on the crack-tip stress field in a creeping body and on models for micro-void growth. The growth rate of the macro-crack depends on the applied load, which is expressed through the path-independent integral C*. At low levels of C*, i.e., small crack growth rates, the void growth mechanism by diffusion prevails, whereas at high C*-values the voids grow mainly by creep.
KeywordsHull Cavitation Nism Librium Rounded
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BEERE, W. and SPEIGHT, M.V. 1978 Metal Sei. 12, 172–176.Google Scholar
- BUDIANSKY, B., HUTCHINSON, J.W. and SLUTSKY, S. 1981 in Mechanics of Solids, edited by HOPKINS, H.G. and SEWELL, M.J.,. Pergamon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- DYSON, B.F. 1979 Can.Metall.Q. 18, 31–38.Google Scholar
- FROST, H.J. and ASHBY, M.F. 1977 Fundamental Aspects of Structural Alloy Design, edited by JAFFEE, R.I. and WILCOX, B.A., p. 27, Plenum Press, New York and London.Google Scholar
- HUTCHINSON, J.W., NEEDLEMAN, A., and SHIH, C.F. 1978 Fracture Mechanics, edited by PERRONE, N., LIEBOWITZ, H., MULVILLE, D. and PILKEY, W. pp. 515–528, University Press of Virginia, Charlottesville.Google Scholar
- LANDES, J.D. and BEGLEY, J.A. 1976 Mechanics of Crack Growth, ASTM STP 590, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- MILLER, D.A. and PILKINGTON, R. 1980 Metall. Trans. 11A, 177–180.Google Scholar
- Needleman, A. and Rice, J.R. 1980 Acta Metall., in the press.Google Scholar
- RICE, J.R. 1979 Presentation at Department of Energy Workshop on Time-Dependent Fracture of Materials at Elevated Temperature, Germantown, Md.Google Scholar
- RIEDEL, H. and WAGNER, W. 1981 Fifth International Conference on Fracture, Cannes.Google Scholar
- SAXENA, A. 1980 to appear in ASTM STP TOO, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- RIEDEL, H. and RICE, J.R., 1980. ASTM., S.T.P. 700, pp. 112-130.Google Scholar