Available Data from Carminomycin Studies in the United States: The Acute Intermittent Intravenous Schedule
Carminomycin is an anthracycline antitumor antibiotic isolated from the mycelia of Actinomadura carminata . The structure of carminomycin is presented in Fig. 1. Carminomycin is steriochemically quite similar to daunorubicin. The molecule differs from daunorubicin in the aglycone, being a desmethyl daunomycin. Carminomycin is active in a variety of animal tumor systems including L1210 and sarcoma 180 . Antitumor activity does not appear to be schedule dependent in L1210 . Carminomycin is orally absorbed, and the ratio of the LD50 of oral to intravenous administration is 2 : 1 in mice.
KeywordsMaximally Tolerate Dose Continuous Cardiac Monitoring Bristol Laboratory Anthracycline Antitumor Leukocyte Nadir
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baker LH, Kessel DH, Comis R, Riech SD, Defuria DM, Crooke ST (to be published) Phase I stdies of carminomycin in the United States. Cancer Treat RepGoogle Scholar
- 2.Bradner WT (1977) Unpublished workGoogle Scholar
- 3.Crooke ST (1977) Carminomycin clinical brochure. Bristol LaboratoriesGoogle Scholar
- 4.Duvernay VH, Pachter JA, Crooke ST (1979) Carminomycin -evidence for a mechanism of action distinct from adriamycin. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 20:35Google Scholar
- 7.Perevodchikova NI, Gorbunova VA, Lichinister MR, Borisov VI, Alekseyev NA (1976) First phase of clinical study of the antitumor antibiotic carminomycin. Antibiotika 20:853–856Google Scholar
- 8.Perevodchikova NI, Gorbunova VA, Lichinister MR, Moroz LV (1976) Carminomycin therapy in soft tissue sarcomas. Antibiotika 21:657–660Google Scholar
- 9.Shorin VA, Brazhanov VS, Averbuch A, Lepeshkina GM, Grinshtein AM (1973) Antitumor activity of a new antibiotic, carminomycin. Antibiotika 18:681–686Google Scholar
- 10.Shorin VA (1976) Unpublished workGoogle Scholar
- 11.Vertogradova TP, Goldberg LY, Filipposyants ST, Belova IP, Stepanova EG, Shepelevtseva NG (1974) Mechanism of the toxic effect of the antitumor antibiotic, carminomycin. Antibiotika 19:50–57Google Scholar
- 12.Zbinden G, Brandle E (1975) Toxicologic screening of daunorubicin (NSC-32151), adriamycin (NSC-123127) and their derivatives in rats. Cancer Chemother Rep Part 1 59:707–715Google Scholar