The Significance of Minimal Alterations in Muscle Biopsy of Duchenne Carriers
In order to define the significance of minimal histological and ultrastructural abnormalities in Duchenne carriers, 18 normal healthy volunteers were examined by muscle biopsy. Light microscopy evidenced occasional internal nuclei and less frequent small round and angular fibres. Variability of fibre size, increase in connective tissue, necroses and basophilia found in carriers were not present in controls. Histograms constructed on ATPase stain sections demonstrated variability in distribution of fibre types both in normals and in carriers. Fibre size was more variable in carriers, where a significant decrease of the size of type II B fibres was observed. Electron microscopy evidenced knots in overcontraction, myofibrillary widening, subsarcolemmal accumulation of mitochondria and Z band streaming, which have been reported also in carriers. The results are discussed and compared with the data of the literature.
Key wordsDuchenne dystrophy carrier myofibrilis fibre disorganisation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Dubowitz V, Brooke MH (1973) Muscle biopsy: a modern approach. Saunders, London, Philadelphia, TorontoGoogle Scholar
- 5.Fisher ER, Wissinger A, Gerneth JA, Danowski TS (1972) Ultrastructural changes in skeletal muscle of muscular dystrophy carriers. Arch Pathol Lab Med 94:456–460Google Scholar
- 7.Ionescu V, Radu H, Nicolescu P (1975) Identification of Duchenne muscular dystrophy carriers. Electron microscopical investigation of skeletal muscle. Arch Pathol Lab Med 99: 436–441Google Scholar
- 9.Meltzer HY, Rastogi S, Ellison J (1976) Quantitative histochemical evaluation of normal human skeletal muscle. Neurology (Minneap) 26:849–852Google Scholar
- 10.Meltzer HY, Kuncl RW, Click J, Yang V (1976) Incidence of Z band streaming and myofibrillar disruption in skeletal muscle from healthy young people. Neurology (Minneap) 26:853–857Google Scholar
- 13.Reske-Nielsen E, Harmsen A (1972) Electron microscopical study of muscle biopsies from healthy young people. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand Section A 80:449–467Google Scholar
- 16.Schiffer D, Palmucci L, Bertolotto A, Monga G (1979) The detection of Duchenne carriers: multifactorial investigation. Ital J Neurol Sci 1:37–45Google Scholar
- 17.Schiffer D, Bertolotto A, Doriguzzi C, Mongini T, Palmucci L, Ardizzone G, Canese MG, Monga G (1980 in press): Remarks on some parameters employed in the detection of Duchenne carriers. In: Muscular Dystrophy Research: Advances and New Trends, Excerpta Medica, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar