Critical Stress Intensity Factor (KIc) Measurements at High Loading Rates for Polycrystalline Ice
In this paper results are presented from experiments to measure KIc the critical stress intensity factor, at -4, -11, and -24°C. Rectangular bars with a slot ending in a sharp crack in one side were broken in four point bending. The mean values were 118 ± 32 kN m-3/2 (44 samples) at -4°C, 119 ± 34 KN m-3/2 (40 samples) at -11°C, and 108 ± 21 KN m-3/2 (44 samples) at -24°C. These agree well with the results of other studies, and show that G, the strain energy release rate is close to twice the surface energy, Γ (overall mean for KICis 115 KN m-3/2, implies G equals 1.38 Jm-2 compared to 0.2 Jm-2 for 2Γ.
Some preliminary results from the measurement of crack opening displacement are also presented.
KeywordsFracture Toughness Stress Intensity Factor Plastic Zone Crack Opening Displacement Linear Elastic Fracture Mechanic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Liu, H.W.; Loop, L.W.C.: Fracture toughness of fresh water ice. Personal Communication.Google Scholar
- 4.Goodman, D.J.: Creep and fracture of ice, and surface strain measurements on glaciers and sea ice. Ph. D thesis. University of Cambridge (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.Vaudrey, K.D.: Ice Engineering - study of related properties of floating sea-ice sheets and summary of elastic and visco-elastic analyses. Technical report R860 Civil Engineering Laboratory, Port Hueneme, California. (1977).Google Scholar
- 8.Miller, K.J.: The application of fracture mechanics to ice problems. Proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium on the Physics and Mechanics of Ice. Copenhagen, August 6–10 1979. This Volume.Google Scholar
- 9.Knott, J.F.: Fundamentals of fracture mechanics. London. Butterworth.Google Scholar
- 10.Lawn, B.R.; Wishaw, T.R.: Fracture of brittle solids. Cambridge, University Press.Google Scholar
- 11.Brown, W.F.; Srawley, J.E.: Plane strain crack toughness of high strength metallic materials. American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM Special Technical Publication No. 410). (1966).Google Scholar