Optimal Temperature Control of Semibatch Polymerization Reactors
Recently, in a paper of Chylla and Haase , a model of a multiproduct semibatch polymerization reactor has been developed which is representative of those found in the speciality chemical processing industry. One of the aims in these processes is to keep a certain reaction temperature setpoint, in order to fit the quality requirements for the polymer.
In the present paper, the optimal solutions of the underlying optimal control problems of the Chylla-Haase reactor, which have been computed by a new direct multiple shooting method, are discussed. It can be shown that the first of the two products for which physical data are given in  can be controlled along its required constant reaction temperature setpoint while, for the second product, this cannot be achieved because of certain mathematical and technical reasons.
KeywordsHeat Transfer Coefficient Optimal Control Problem Nonlinear Programming Problem Temperature Setpoint Multiple Shooting Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bock, H. G., Plitt, K. J. (1984): A Multiple Shooting Algorithm for Direct Solution of Optimal Control Problems. Proc. of the 9th IFAC Worldcongress, Budapest, Hungary, Vol. IX, Colloquia 14. 2, 09. 2Google Scholar
- 2.Chylla, R. W., Haase, R. (1993): Temperature Control of Semibatch Polymerization Reactors, Chem. Engng. 17(3), 257–264 and 17 (12), 1213Google Scholar
- 3.Gill, P. E., Murray, W., Saunders, M. A., Wright, M. H. (1986): User’s Guide for NPSOL (Version 4.0). Department of Operations Research, Stanford University, Stanford, California, Report SOL 86 - 2Google Scholar
- 4.Heim, A. (1992): Parameteridentifizierung in differential-algebraischen Gleichungen. Department of Mathematics, Munich University of Technology, Munich, Germany, Diploma ThesisGoogle Scholar
- 5.Pesch, H. J. (1994): Offline and Online Computation of Optimal Trajectories in the Aerospace Field. Applied Mathematics in Aerospace Science and Engineering, Edited by A. Miele and A. Salvetti, Plenum Publishing Corporation, New York, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Stryk, O. von (1995): Numerische Lösung optimaler Steuerungsprobleme: Diskretisierung, Parameteroptimierung und Berechnung der adjungierten Variablen. (Fortschritt-Berichte VDI, Series 8, No. 441 ) VDI-Verlag, Düsseldorf, GermanyGoogle Scholar