Combustion of Coal in Pressurized Fluidized Bed Reactors
The combustion of coal in fluidized bed boilers represents the state of modern power plant engineering. Due to the migration from atmospheric to pressurized operating conditions, the modelling and the simulation of this reactor type is of on-going interest. Therefore, a two dimensional model is presented which consists of two mass balances for the carbon and the oxygen concentration and an enthalpy balance for the temperature, respectively. The solution of this coupled system of nonlinear PDEs is split up into the two subproblems “solution of the two mass balances” and “solution of the enthalpy balance”. Finally, an appropriate coupling algorithm has to be used to get a solution of the entire system. For the latter an iterative Newton type method has been developed which only requires successive solution steps for the single subproblems. No computation of the Jacobian of the whole system is necessary. Therefore, this method may generally be an interesting tool for the solution of coupled systems in the engineering sciences. The numerical results deal with the combustor model and point at the influence of the fuel feed system on the temperature homogeneity of the reactor. With this intention an enlargement of the above model is presented which takes into account the technical relevant fuel feed in the form of coal water mixtures.
KeywordsCombustion Migration Convection Enthalpy Expense
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson, J., jansson,S. A.: Commissioning Experience from Three PFBC Plants, in: Anthony,E.J. (ed.): Proc. of the 11th Int. Conf. on Fluidized Bed Combustion, April 21–24, 1991, Montreal (Canada), ASME, New York (1991), 787–793Google Scholar
- 2.Artlich,St.: Simulation der Kohleverbrennung in Druckwirbelschichtfeuerungen, Ph. D. Thesis, TU Hamburg-Harburg (in preparation)Google Scholar
- 3.Artlich,ST., Mackens,W.: Newton-Coupling of Fixed point Iterations, in: Hackbusch, W., Wittum, G. (eds.): Numerical Treatment of Coupled Systems. Proc. of the 11th GAMM-Seminar Kiel (Germany), January 20–22, 1995. Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics Vol. 51. Vieweg-Verlag, Braunschweig, Wiesbaden, Germany (1995).Google Scholar
- 4.Artlich,St., Mackens,W.: Newton-Coupling of Fixed point Iterations or Tiebreaking in Energy Pingpong, Hamburger Beitrage zur Angewandten Mathematik, Reihe E, Scientific Computing, in preparationGoogle Scholar
- 6.Groenewald, H.: Zum Einfluβ von Wärmetauscherbundeln auf die Temper aturhomogeni tat druckaufgeladener Wirbelschichtfeuerungen, VDI-Verlag, Reihe 6, Nr. 244, Düsseldorf, 1990Google Scholar
- 7.Keller, H. B.: Numerical solution of Bifurcation and Nonlinear Eigenvalue problems, in: P. Rabinowitz (ed.): Applications of Bifurcation Theory, Academic Press, New York, 1977, 359–384Google Scholar