Combined STR VNTR and MVR Typing and mtDNA Sequencing, led to the Identification of Human Remains Emergent from the AMIA Explosion in Buenos Aires
On July 18tth, 1994, the building of a Jewish Association (AMIA) was blown by a bomb in Buenos Aires. The attack resulted in more than 90 fatal and over 300 injured victims and the complete destruction of the building. A high number of fragmentary human remains were found. National authorities required us to characterize over 80 human remains and to identify victims by comparison with family groups searching for missing relatives.
KeywordsHuman Remains Tandem Repeat Locus Gender Determination Profile Shift Short Tandem Repeat Typing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Corach D, Penacino G and Sotelo A.(1994).Dealing with Human Remains Sampled inGoogle Scholar
- Disaster Areas. The Case of the Israeli Embassy Explotion Ocurred in Buenos Aires. Advances in Forensic Haemogenetics 5259–261.Google Scholar
- Corach D.? Penacino G. and Sala A.Cadaveric DNA Extraction Protocol Based on Cetyl Trimethyl Amonium Bromide(CTAB). Medinae Legalis 1994 (In Press). Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- Corach D., Sala A., Penacino G and Sotelo A.(1995). Mass disasters: rapid molecular screening of human remains by means of short tandem repeats typing. Electrophoresis, (in press).Google Scholar
- Jeffreys A.J., MacLeod A.,Tamaki K., Neil D. and Monckton D.(1991). Minisatellite repeat coding as a digital approach to DNA typing. Nature 354: 204–209..Google Scholar
- Kimpton C., Walton A. and Gill P. (1992). A Futher Tetranucleotide Repeat Polymorphism in the vWF Gene. Hum. Molec. Genet. 1(4): 287.Google Scholar
- Kogan S.G., Doherty M. and Gitschier J. (1992). An improved method for pregnatal diagnosis of genetics diseases by analysis of amplified DNA sequences. Applications to Hemophilia A., N. Engl. J. Med. 317: 985–990.Google Scholar
- Orrego, C. and King, M.C. (1991)Determination of Familial Relationships. In: PCR Protocols. Edited by M.A. Innis, D.H. Gelfand, J.J. Sninsky and T.J. White. Academic Press, New York, pp.416–426.Google Scholar
- Polymeropoulos MH., Rath DS., Xiao H. Merril CR. (1991) Tetranucleotide repeat polymorphism at the human c-fes/fps proto-oncogene (FES). Nucleic Acids Res 19: 4018.Google Scholar