Protectionism in Europe before 1939
The modest ambition of this paper is to indicate how protection developed in Europe before the second world war. Measuring the extent of protection is fraught with difficulties and while some measures are provided, no weight should be placed on these. They should be regarded rather as indicative of rising, declining, or static trends. If measuring protection is difficult, trying to quantify its impact is positively treacherous and is not broached in this paper. The paper simply sets out the general trends and is therefore suggestive of the mood before 1939, and places that in the longer-term perspective and to some extent in the wider geographical context. Some tentative remarks are made at the end on the pattern of world trade.
KeywordsWorld Economy World Trade Trade Policy Tariff Level European Economic Integration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bailey, S.H. (1932), The political aspects of discrimination in international relation, in Economica, pp.89–115.Google Scholar
- Bairoch, P. (1976), Commerce extérieur et développement économique de l’Europe au XIXe siècle, Paris and The Hague.Google Scholar
- Bairoch, P., European trade policy, 1815–1914, in: Mathias, P.; Pollard, S. (eds, 1989), The Cambridge Economic History of Europe (Volume VIII, The Industrial Economies: The Development of Economic and Social Policies ), Cambridge, pp. 1–160.Google Scholar
- Conybeare, J. (1987), Trade wars: The Theorie and Practice of Internations Commercial Rivalry, Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Humphrey, D.D. (1955), American Imports, New York, Twentieth Century Fund.Google Scholar
- Irwin, D., The Gatt’s Contribution to Economic Recovery in Western Europe, in: Eichenggreen, B. (1995), Postwar Growth in Europe, Princeton: CUP, forthcomingGoogle Scholar
- Laegue Of Nations (1927), Tariff Level Indices, Geneva.Google Scholar
- Liepmann, H. (1938), Tariff Levels and the Economic Unity of Europe, London.Google Scholar
- Lindert, P. (1993), International Economics, Homewood, 111.: IrwinGoogle Scholar
- Mitchell, B.R. (1988), British Historical Statistics, London: McmillonGoogle Scholar
- Woytinsky, W.S.; Woytinsky, E.C. (1955), World Commerce and Governments, New York.Google Scholar