Prospects for the International Monetary System and its Institutions
The subject matter of this conference is ambitious in the sense that it deals with the future of the international monetary system and its institutions. It would be almost equally ambitious if it dealt with its past, about which a great deal more is known than of its future. Yet it is from the past that we can draw lessons and learn about the future. History is condensed into hypotheses, theories and laws that provide us with a roadmap of the future.
KeywordsExchange Rate Monetary Policy Central Bank Foreign Exchange Flexible Exchange Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Horsefield, J. Keith, (1969). The International Monetary Fund, 1945–1965. Washington, D.C.: The International Monetary Fund, Vol. I, p. 12.Google Scholar
- Howson, Susan and Donald Moggridge, (eds.) 1990. The Wartime Diaries of Lionel Robbins and James Meade 1943–45. London: MacMillan, 1990, p. 114.Google Scholar
- Mundell, Robert A., 1968. “A Plan for a World Currency,” U.S. Congressional Hearings. Subcommittee (Reuss) on International Monetary Reform, Joint Economic Committee of the U.S. Congress, Washington, September 9.Google Scholar
- Mundell, Robert A., 1971b. “The Optimum Balance of Payments Deficit and the Theory of Empires,” in P. Salin and E. Claassen (eds.), Stabilization Policies in Interdependent Economies. Amsterdam: North-Holland Press, 1971, 69–86.Google Scholar
- Mundell, Robert A., 1993a. “Tales from the Brettern Woods,” in M. Bordo and B. Eichen green (eds.), Retrospective on the Bretton Woods System. Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research.Google Scholar
- Mundell, Robert A., 1993b. “EMU and the International Monetary System,” Working Paper No. 13, Österreichische Nationalbank.Google Scholar
- Mundell, Robert A., 1993c. “Economic Convergence and the Theory of Factor Price Equalization Areas,” Rivista di Politica Economica.Google Scholar
- Mundell, Robert A., 1993d. “Economic Convergence in the North American Free Trade Area,” in F. Saddiqui (ed.) The North American Free Trade Area. Sherbrooke, Quebec: Bishop’s University Press.Google Scholar
- Mundell, Robert A., 1993e. “EMU and the Definition of a New International Monetary Order,” in Lyon Monetary Talks. Lyon: ECU Institute, June.Google Scholar
- Riboud, Jacques, (1989). Theoretical Foundation of a Constant External Money and Its Applications. Paris: Centre Jouffroy pour la Reflexion Monétaire.Google Scholar