Adipocyte Differentiation is Dependent on the Induction of the Acyl-CoA Binding Protein
The 3T3-L1 cell line was selected from an established Swiss mouse 3T3 cell lines by virtue of its ability to differentiate into cells possessing the morphological and biochemical characteristics of adipose cells (Green and Kehinde, 1974). Preconfluent growing 3T3-L1 cells maintain a fibroblastic phenotype, but upon confluence treatment with an appropriate combination of adipogenic factors induces a highly synchronous adipose conversion (reviewed in Cornelius et al, 1994). Several lines of evidence have indicated that the transcription factor CCAAT/enhancer binding protein α (C/EBPα) plays a decisive role in the differentiation process (Samuelsson et al, 1991; Lin and Lane, 1992; Lin and Lane, 1994; Freytag et al, 1994).
KeywordsCodon Tyrosine Dexamethasone Glucocorticoid Diazepam
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albrektsen, T., Schröder, L., Göttlicher, M., Elholm, M., Gustafsson, J.-Å., Kristiansen, K. and Knudsen, J. (1995) Ligand binding of the peroxisome proliferator activated receptor (PPAR) studied by photoaffinity labelling. Submitted.Google Scholar
- Ibrahimi, A., Teboul, L., Gaillard, D., Amri, E.-Z., Ailhaud, G., Young, P., Cawthorne, M.A. and Grimaldi, P.A. (1995) Evidence for a common mechanism of action for fatty acids and thiazolidinedione antidiabetic agents on gene expression in preadipose cells. Mol. Pharnacol., in the press.Google Scholar
- Kaikaus, R., Chan, W.K., Lysenko, N., Ray, R., Ortiz de Montellano, P.R. and Bass, N.M. (1993) Induction of peroxisomal fatty acid ß-oxidation and liver fatty acid-binding protein by peroxisome proliferators. Mediation via the cytochrome P-450IVal co-hydroxylase pathway. J. Biol. Chem. 13: 9593–9603.Google Scholar
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E.F. and Maniatis, T. (1989) Molecular cloning. A laboratory manual., 2nd edit. Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbour, N.Y.Google Scholar
- Tomaszewski, K.E. and Melnick, R.L. (1994) In vitro evidence for involvement of acyl-CoA thioesters in peroxisome proliferation and hypolipidaemia. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1120: 118–124.Google Scholar
- Wiborg, O., Pedersen, M.S., Wind, A., Berglund, L.E., Marcker, K.A. and Vuust, J. (1985) The human ubiquitin coding sequences. EMBO J. 4: 775–759.Google Scholar