Pathogenetic Mechanisms in Gram-Positive Shock: Studies on the Ability of Streptococcus pyogenes to Induce Nitric Oxide In Vitro
Sepsis and its sequelae are a cause of significant morbidity and mortality worldwide. Septic shock is a clinical syndrome that has become increasingly important in the past 40 years (Glauser et al. 1991) and has been increasing in incidence since the early part of this century (Parrillo et al. 1990; Billiau and Vandekerckhove 1991). Much work has been conducted in elucidating the pathogenic mechanisms responsible for the deleterious effects seen in this condition.
KeywordsPneumonia Cysteine Nitrite Glutamine Dexamethasone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gascoigne NR (1993) Interaction of the T cell receptor with bacterial superantigens. Immunology 5: 13–21Google Scholar
- Green SJ, Chen TY, Crawford RM, NacyCA, Morrison DC, MeltzerMS (1992) Cytotoxic activity and production of toxic nitrogen oxides by macrophages treated with IFNγ and monoclonal antibodies against the 73-kDa lipopolysaccharide receptor. J Immunol 149: 2069–2075Google Scholar
- Krausz T, Cohen J (1992) Shock. In: McGee JO, Isaacson PG, Wright NA (eds) Oxford textbook of pathology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 540–551Google Scholar
- Labrecque N, Thibodeau J, Sekaly RP (1993) Interactions between staphylococcal superantigens and MHC class II molecules. Immunology 5: 23–32Google Scholar
- LonchamptMO, Auguet M, Delaflotte S, Goulin-Schultz J, Chabrier PE, Braquet P (1992) Lipoteichoic acid: a new inducer of nitric oxide synthase. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 20: 5145–5147Google Scholar
- Nathan C (1992) Nitric oxide as a secretory product of mammalian cells. FASEB J 6: 3051–3064Google Scholar
- ParrilloJE, Parker MM, Natanson C, Suffredini AF, DannerRL, Cunnion RE, Ognibene FP (1990) Septic shock in humans. Advances in the understanding of pathogenesis, cardiovascular dysfunction and therapy. Ann Intern Med 113: 227–242Google Scholar
- Working Group on Severe Streptococcal Infections (1993) Defining the group A streptococcal toxic shock syndrome. JAMA 269: 390–391Google Scholar