Lyn Tyrosine Kinase Signals Cell Cycle Arrest in Mouse and Human B-Cell Lymphoma
Tumor dormancy is an operational term used to describe a prolonged quiescent state in which tumor cells are present, but tumor progression is not clinically apparent. In order to study the mechanisms underlying tumor dormancy, we have utilized two murine models of dormancy with an aggressive murine B-cell lymphoma (BCL1) [1–3]. In the first model, BALB/c mice are immunized to the idiotype (Id) of the BCL1 immunoglobulin (Ig) before challenge with BCL1. In the second model, antibody to various epitopes on the BCL1 Ig (an IgM-λ) are injected into SCID mice before or after challenge with BCL1. In naive BALB/c or SCID mice, the tumor grows primarily in the spleen and splenomegaly is detected approximately one month after challenge with 3 x 104106 BCL1 cells. In Idimmune mice injected with 106 BCL1, 70% do not develop splenomegaly by day 60. We have used this time period as an arbitrary cut-off and have considered such mice to harbor dormant tumor. When the spleens of Id-immunized BALB/c mice that display tumor dormancy are examined, a population of dormant lymphoma cells (DLC) can be isolated by multiparameter cell sorting. The rarity of λ light chain in BALB/c mice (usually less than 0.5%) has facilitated isolation of the DLC. Examination of these cells shows that they are physiologically different from those of BCL1 cells growing in non-immune BALB/c.
KeywordsCell Cycle Arrest SCID Mouse Induce Cell Cycle Arrest Daudi Cell Tumor Dormancy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.George, J.J.T., Tutt, A.L. & Stevenson, F.K., Anti-idiotvpic mechanisms involved in suppression of a mouse B cell lymphoma BCL1.. (1987) J Immunol. 138, 628–634.Google Scholar
- 3.Yefenof, E., Picker, L.J., Scheuermann, R.H., Tucker, T.F., Vitetta, E.S. & Uhr, J.W. Cancer dormancy: isolation and characterization of dormant lymphoma cells. (1993) ProcNatlAcad.Sci.USA. 90, 1829–1833.Google Scholar
- 5.Cambier, J.C. & Campbell, K.S. Membrane immunoglobulin and its accomplices: new lessons from an old receptor. (1992) FASEB J. 6, 3207–3217.Google Scholar
- 8.Ghetie, M.-A., Picker, L.J., Richardson, J.A., Tucker, K., Uhr, J.W. & Vitetta, E.S. Anti-CD 19 inhibits the growth of human B-cell tumor lines in vitro and of Daudi cells in SCID mice bv inducing cell cvcle arrest. (1994) Blood 83, 1–9Google Scholar
- 14.O’Connor, R., Torigoe, T., Reed, J.C. & Santoli, C. Phenotvpic changes induced by interleukin-2 (IL-2) and IL-3 in an immature T-lymphocvtic leukemia are associated with regulated expression of IL-2 receptor beta chain and of protein tyrosine kinases LCK and LYN (1992) Blood 80, 1017–1025PubMedGoogle Scholar