Dissolved Air Flotation: Efficient Removal of Micropollutants from Stormwater Runoff
Stormwater runoff washes off a considerable amount of pollutants from the surfaces of urban catchment areas. Most of the pollutants are transported particlebound and it is well known that solids of a small grain size (suspended solids) serve as their host carrier. In the traditional design, the stormwater sewer of a separate system discharges into an intermediate sedimentation tank at the outfall of the receiving water to reduce the pollutants load. Due to the extended sedimentation time of small particle, this type of stormwater treatment facility is incapable of removing finer, polluted solids fractions. A demonstration project has shown that chemical coagulation and liquid/solid separation by dissolved air flotation results in an efficient removal of pollutants and allows recovery of the natural waters.
KeywordsEfficient Removal Suspended Solid Pilot Plant Runoff Event Stormwater Runoff
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chebbo, G., Musquere, P., Bachoc, A.: Solids Transferred Into Sewers. Proceedings 5th Int. Conf. of Urban Storm Drainage, Osaka 1990, pp. 885-890.Google Scholar
- Hahn, H.H., Pfeifer, R.: The Contribution of Parked Vehicle Emissions to the Pollution of Urban Runoff. Proceedings 4th Int. Conf. Highway Pollution, 1992, 217-226..Google Scholar
- Pfeifer, R., Hahn, H.H.: The Need for Advanced Treatment of Stormwater Runoff from Separate Sewer Systems. In: Innovations in Flotation Technology, P. Mavros and K.A. Matis (Eds.). NATO ASI Series, 208, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht 1992, pp.521–525.Google Scholar
- Rodman, D.J.: Investigation Into Hydraulic Flocculation with Special Emphasis on the Removal of Algae. Ph.D.-Thesis, Water Research Center, Medmenham 1982..Google Scholar
- Grohmann, A.: Flocculation in Pipes: Design and Operation. In: Chemical Water and Wastewater Treatment, H.H. Hahn and R. Klute (Eds.). ISWW Series 40, University of Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe 1985, pp. 113–131.Google Scholar
- Zabel, Th. F.: Flotation in Water Treatment. In: Innovations in Flotation Technology, P. Mavros and K.A. Matis (Eds.). NATOASI Series 208, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht 1992, pp.431–454Google Scholar