Insights Into the Structure of the Mitochondrial Channel, VDAC, Provided by Electron Microscopy
It has been ten years since publication of the finding that outer membranes isolated from mitochondria of the fungus Neurospora crassa may bear periodic arrays of stain-accumulating subunits, which were later identified as the voltage-dependent anion-selective channel, VDAC (Mannella, 1982). In the ensuing years, considerable progress has been made both in controlling the crystallization process and in characterizing the structure of the arrays. The aim of the present report is to summarize information about the structure of the VDAC channel that has been obtained from high-resolution electron microscopy and image analysis of these two-dimensional (2D) crystals.
KeywordsMitochondrial Outer Membrane Crystalline Array Electron Cryomicroscopy Mitochondrial Channel Electron Microscopy Society
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Deisenhofer J, Epp O, Miki K, Huber R, Michel H (1984) X-ray structure analysis of a membrane protein complex. Electron density map at 3A resolution and a model of the chromophores of the photosynthetic reaction center from Rhodopseudomonas viridis. J Mol Biol 180: 385–398PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Guo X W, Smith P R, Radermacher M, Mannella C A (1992) Structure of crystalline VDAC, the voltage-gated channel in the mitochondrial outer membrane. In: Proc. 50th Annual Meeting of the Electron Microscopy Society of America. Bailey G W, Bentley J, Small J A (eds) San Francisco Press, Inc. San Francisco, p. 440–441Google Scholar
- Jordi W, De Kruijff B, Marsh D (1989) Specificity of the interaction of amino-and carboxy-terminal fragments of the mitochondrial precursor protein apocytochrome c with negatively charged phospholipids. A spin-label electron spin resonance study. Biochemistry 28: 8998–9005PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mannella C A (1992b) Model for a gated mitochondrial channel based on electron microscopy of 2D crystal polymorphs. Trans Am Crystal Assn, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Mannella C A, Stanley S, D’Arcangelis D, Dias J A (1992b) Location of the N-terminal region of the channel protein, VDAC, in the outer membrane of Neurospora mitochondria. Biophys J 61: A14Google Scholar
- Massalski A, Sass H J, Zemlin F, Beckmann E, van Heel M, Buldt G, Dorset D L, Zeitler E, Rosenbusch J P (1987) High-resolution, low-dose electron cryomicroscopy of negatively stained matrix porin, a transmembrane protein from Escherichia coli outer membranes. In: Proc. 45th Annual Meeting of the Electron Microscopy Society of America. Bailey G W (ed) San Francisco Press, Inc. San Francisco, p. 788–789Google Scholar