Structure of Deformation Waves in Porous Compressible Materials Under the Influence of Shock Waves
Paper describes new experimental results concerning compression waves in porous compressible foams due to loading with shock waves generated in gas. A shock tube of 100 x 100 mm cross-section has been used. In addition to piezoelectric measurements and flow visualization, which were described elsewhere, new techniques for measuring the deformation waves in porous compressible media were developed. The density distribution in the deformation wave is determined, based on photodetection of a reference grating on the side face of the foam with short exposure times. The structure of the deformation wave was found to depend substantially on the permeability of the front face of the foam. In particular, the deformation wave in open-pore polyurethane foam was shown to be transformed into a wave-like isolated compression wave with a rarefaction region between the compression wave and the foam surface. The deformation wave in a foam with the front face covered with a thin mylar film is of a different structure, more like that expected in polyurethane if taken to behave like a pseudogas. The rarefaction region disappeared. The effect of pressure magnitude of the incident shock wave on the deformation wave structure was studied. The dependence of the maximum compression of porous medium on impinging wave intensity was obtained. Pressure distributions on the side wall of the shock tube under the foam were taken. The dependence of pressure distribution on the Mach number of the incident shock wave has been studied.
Key wordsPorous compressible foam Deformation wave Shock wave Optical methods
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BazhenovaTV, Gvozdeva LG, Faresov YuM et al. (1988). Unsteady interaction of shock and detonation waves in gases. Rus. ed. Korobeinikov VP, Eng. ed. Urtiew PA, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, New-York, Washington, Philadelphia, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Gelfand BE, Gubin SA, Kogarko SU et al. (1975). Study of special features of propagation and reflection of pressure waves in porous medium. Sov. Phys. Appl. Math. Tech. Phys. 6:74–77Google Scholar
- Gelfand BE, Gubanov AV, Timofeev AI (1983) Interaction of shock waves in air with a porous screen. Izv. Akad Nauk SSSR, Mekh Zhidk. Gaza 4: 79–84Google Scholar
- Gvozdeva LG, Faresov YuM (1984) Interaction of air shock waves with porous compressible material. Pisma v Journal Tekh. Fiz. 19,10: 1153–1156Google Scholar
- Gvozdeva LG, Faresov YuM (1985) Calculation of parameters of steady shock waves in porous compressible media. Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 55, 4: 773–775Google Scholar
- Gvozdeva LG, Faresov YuM (1985) Approximate calculation of the parameters of stationary shock waves in porous materials. Soviet Journal of Appl. Mech. and Techn. Phys. 1, 1: 120–121Google Scholar
- Gvozdeva LG, Faresov YuM, Fokeev VP (1985) Interaction between air shock waves and porous compressible materials. Soviet Physics Applied Mathematics and Technical Physics 3: 111–115Google Scholar
- Henderson LF, Virgora RD, Di J, Gvozdeva LG (1989) Refraction of a normal shock wave from nitrogen into polyurethane foam. In: Kim YW (ed) Proc.17th Intl. Symp. Shock Waves and Shock Tubes. American Institute of Physics Conferences Proceedings 208, pp 814–818Google Scholar
- Rayevsky DK, Gvozdeva LG, Faresov YuM, Bressard J, Bailly P (1989) Reflection of shock and explosion waves from surfaces covered with layers of polyurethane foam. 11th Intl. Colloq. on Dynamics of Exp. and Reactive SystemsGoogle Scholar
- Seitz MW, Skews BW (1992) Three dimensional effects in the study of shock wave loading of porous compressible foams. In: Takayama K (ed) Proc. 18th Intl. Symp. on Shock Waves, Sendai, Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, pp 517–520Google Scholar
- Skews BW, Altkink MD, Seitz MW (1992) Gas dynamics and physical behaviour of compressible porous foams struck by a weak shock wave. Shock waves. In: Takayama K (ed) Proc. 18th Intl. Symp. on Shock Waves, Sendai, Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, pp 511–516Google Scholar