Droplet Behaviour in Underexpanded Supersonic Jets
For improving the understanding of droplet break-up and behaviour in high-speed flows, experimental studies using an underexpanded free jet were performed. The outcome of the droplet break-up occuring under defined conditions in the converging nozzle, namely, the size distribution of the fragment droplets was measured using phase-Doppler anemometry. Furthermore, the interaction of the small fragment droplets with the strongly accelerating flow within the underexpanded jet and the embedded shock waves was of interest to the present study.
Key wordsUnderexpanded free jet Droplet break-up Droplet size measurements
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hassler G (1971) Untersuchungen zur Verformung und Auflösung von Wassertropfen durch aerodynamische Kräfte im stationären Luft-und Querstrom bei Unterschallgeschwindigkeit. Ph.D. Thesis, Univerität Karlsruhe.Google Scholar
- Hinze JO (1955) Fundamentals of the hydrodynamic mechanism of splitting in dispersion processes. A.l.Ch.E. J. 1: 289–295Google Scholar
- Kombayasi M, Gonda T, Isono K (1964) Life time of waterdrops before breaking and size distribution of fragment droplets. J. Met. Soc. Japan 42: 330–340Google Scholar
- Lane WR (1951) Shatter of drops in streams of air. Ind. and Engng. Chemistry 43: 1312–1317Google Scholar
- Sommerfeld M (1993) The structure of particle-laden, underexpanded free jets. Intl. J. Shock Waves (in print)Google Scholar